The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Misc. Comics Films (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   X-Men First Class v.s Captain America TFA (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=466797)

Green Goblin 10-14-2013 03:02 PM

X-Men First Class v.s Captain America TFA

Which was better? Both were set in the past, are based on Marvel characters and were released in 2011.

For me it's First Class easily.

Senator Pleasury 10-14-2013 03:04 PM

Re: X-Men First Class v.s Captain America TFA

I liked Captain America, but X-Men FC was better.

Quasimod0 10-14-2013 04:47 PM

I liked cap more. But x-men first class is my favorite x men film

marvelrobbins 10-14-2013 05:26 PM

First Class.

henzINNIT 10-14-2013 05:35 PM

This is quite tough for me, as I think First Class is better in places but also shoddy in others. Think Cap edges it out for consistency.

Snow Queen 10-14-2013 05:51 PM

X-Men: First Class.

Kahran Ramsus 10-14-2013 07:04 PM

X-Men First Class. It does a lot of little things better so this isn't a particularly close battle, but two main things in particular stand out in X-Men's favor.

1) The Villain - Red Skull is a cookie-cutter take over the world type that we've seen a hundred times. Shaw is a real character with believable motives, and ironically who's philosophy is more in line with the Nazis than Skull's is. He also seemed like more of a real threat, and his smugness made him easy to hate. I know I was cheering when Magneto put that coin through his brain.

2) The Last Act - Captain America really kind of falls apart as a film as soon as he actually becomes a real hero. There is a montage of him doing stuff and he saves the world and blah, blah, blah but it loses its emotional connection right up until the point when Cap is sacrificing himself by flying the plane into the ice. First Class doesn't miss a beat and its final act is easily the most satisfying of the entire X-Men film franchise.

Anyways, it is an easy victory for X-Men First Class.

Zarex 10-14-2013 07:20 PM

X-Men First Class was a solid flick, but it served to muddle even further the X- Men continuity and didn't devote nearly enough time, in my opinion, to the actual New Class. Cap was sweetly old fashioned and scores a victory on points thanks to the wonderful "Star Spangled Banner Man" montage.

Human Torch 10-14-2013 07:34 PM

I enjoyed FC,but I've always thought it was a bit overrated by the masses.Cap is easily more re-watchable.Very old school action and adventure fun.

def28 10-14-2013 07:39 PM

As a whole First Class.

Cap is a solid flick though, and I enjoy the action more there as well as how they handled the time period. Im a sucker for the 40's setting. Johnston handled that well.

A Dollar Short 10-14-2013 08:02 PM

No contest here, X-Men: First Class. Captain America is my least favorite of the MCU films and the most overrated.

Thoix 10-14-2013 08:10 PM

Easily X-Men: First Class. It all around a better movie with the better story, cast, and action.

Tacit Ronin 10-14-2013 08:22 PM

First Class is better by a considerable margin.

MrMaooz 10-14-2013 09:05 PM

X-Men First Class

CyclopsWasRight 10-14-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin (Post 27017703)
First Class is better by a considerable margin.

Agreed, though i like Cap TFA too

metaphysician 10-14-2013 10:37 PM

Captain America. First Class had a couple really good aspects, notably everything to do with Erik Lehnsherr, but overall, Captain America held together better as a story.

psylockolussus 10-14-2013 10:54 PM

Captain America is maybe closer to the comics, but as a movie, First Class is way better. Its also more entertaining, it had a better lead villain, the story was less predictable and it had more depth. Captain America was very predictable and the lead actor was just very bland for the role.

Quasimod0 10-14-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psylockolussus (Post 27019025)
Captain America is maybe closer to the comics, but as a movie, First Class is way better. Its also more entertaining, it had a better lead villain, the story was less predictable and it had more depth. Captain America was very predictable and the lead actor was just very bland for the role.

Evans was a near perfect Steve Rogers. Cap isn't a bad boy type like iron man. He is supposed to be sorta bland

psylockolussus 10-15-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quasimod0 (Post 27019241)
Evans was a near perfect Steve Rogers. Cap isn't a bad boy type like iron man. He is supposed to be sorta bland

Chris Evans is lacking in charisma and I don't find him believable in the role.

A Dollar Short 10-15-2013 12:46 AM

I preferred Cap in The Avengers, didn't stand out to me in his own movie.

marvelrobbins 10-15-2013 08:12 AM

I like Evans as cap but the avengers did better with Cap than his solo film did.

CyclopsWasRight 10-15-2013 08:17 AM

Strange, i found Cap to be much better in his solo than in Avengers. I didnt like him being the butt of tonys jokes the whole film

flower 10-15-2013 08:19 AM

First Class by far

Loki882 10-15-2013 11:12 AM

This is a tough one, as I really like both films. TFA had a very Indiana-Jones type tone and vibe (they even referenced Raiders in the movie) which I loved. However, FC had a very James Bond type feel/tone, which I also loved. Shaw was a Bond villain with superpowers. I'll go with FC for a couple of reasons, but TFA was still good.
1. The Villain-Shaw was just a better villain. He got more to do, had more screen presence, he and Red Skull were both megalomaniacs, but Shaw was more convincing, and Kevin Bacon is just awesome. Hugo Weaving gave a good performance, but the script let him down.
2. The Dynamic between Charles and Erik was fantastic. McAvoy and Fassbender were awesome and every single scene that they interacted in was just great. TFA had good character stuff (particularly Cap and Peggy) but not AS good.
3. The interactions between Charles, Erik, and Mystique were also quite good, and I actually liked her pseudo-romance with Beast.
4. The action was better overall.
5. The climax was MUCH better.

Loki882 10-15-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus (Post 27017097)
X-Men First Class. It does a lot of little things better so this isn't a particularly close battle, but two main things in particular stand out in X-Men's favor.

1) The Villain - Red Skull is a cookie-cutter take over the world type that we've seen a hundred times. Shaw is a real character with believable motives, and ironically who's philosophy is more in line with the Nazis than Skull's is. He also seemed like more of a real threat, and his smugness made him easy to hate. I know I was cheering when Magneto put that coin through his brain.

2) The Last Act - Captain America really kind of falls apart as a film as soon as he actually becomes a real hero. There is a montage of him doing stuff and he saves the world and blah, blah, blah but it loses its emotional connection right up until the point when Cap is sacrificing himself by flying the plane into the ice. First Class doesn't miss a beat and its final act is easily the most satisfying of the entire X-Men film franchise.

Anyways, it is an easy victory for X-Men First Class.

Shaw was also a proto-Magneto, but even more extreme. Magneto wasn't actually trying to wipe out humanity as a whole until the end of X2, and that was because of the abuse that he suffered at the hands of Stryker and Stryker's trying to exterminate all Mutants.