The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   Thor: The Dark World (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=466969)

Vartha 10-17-2013 09:07 PM

Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Please no flaming each other.

Vartha 10-17-2013 09:26 PM

Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

here's Steyin's review of what he can say
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steyin http://forums.superherohype.com/imag...s/viewpost.gif
Ok, let me start off by saying that overall the film was...

GREAT :up: I give it a solid 8.5/10 after initial viewing, and right now I'd dare to rank it 2nd or 3rd among the Marvel films. (I put Avengers at #1, IM at #2 and CA at #3). If you liked the first film, you'll like this one even more I'd think.

As far as what I can say:

-Running time is 111/112 minutes (with credits), though it doesn't feel too short or too long, just right honestly. Though I do feel some may say it moves along a little fast, but it is really an enjoyable ride.
-Every character gets a moment to shine, even if it is brief
-The comedy is great. Sure it can be a little much in a certain scene, but a good balance overall with everything else (very subtle when it needed to be), unlike another film coughIM3cough
-Some nice emotional scenes (can't give specifics)
-Good action and great CGI/effects.
-Characters/interactions are great, even better this time around, including Natalie Portman
-Music was nice, though I can't really recall the score from the first film
-Sets/other realms were beautiful and well done. Asgard shined even more this time.
-Mid credit and end credit scenes, both great.

If there was a downside I'd say that the threat of the film was pretty large but feels like its resolved too simply, though in an interesting way. Also, I love Darcy.

I think this film will do very well and easily surpass the BO for the first film. I'll answer questions if I feel I can, but in a while as I have some TV to catch up on lol.

Morbius 10-18-2013 04:20 AM

What can I say, but this pleases me greatly. I wasn't overly satisfied with Thor 1 - I enjoyed it, but it left me wanting more.

Vartha 10-18-2013 07:54 AM

As in more IN the film or more as in longer?

Morbius 10-18-2013 08:07 AM

In the film - though i'm all for a longer movie too, I loved it! I would have liked to see more of Thor's character growth and progression when he was turned into a mortal. I felt like it happened very quickly to be convincing enough for me. Meeting an old, frail human and helping them in their last moments, or witnessing human selflessness and learning its value from humans, etc.

Also, there was nothing inherently remarkable about Jane Foster - as much as I love Natalie Portman - her character was fairly bland to me. Thor just suddenly falls in love with her for no real reason that I could see. Again, Thor is incredibly old and has seen more sights that you or I ever would combined. What is it about THIS woman that makes him choose her?

Finally, and it's a little gripe - The earth scenes were far too small scale - we get glimpses of a small town (still amazing that it was built just for this movie!) and a small crash site but I wanted to see more - rolling hills, forests, bigger sets etc.

Vartha 10-18-2013 08:18 AM

Yeah, it wasn't explained well enough, about Jane that is. Just seems to ME that Thor sees something IN Jane that is fresh, curiosity of a child in an adult.

The town was part of a set used in a couple westerns actually. They just updated some of the buildings. I wish I knew which westerns though.

I wanted more of Thor learning humlity and a longer Destroyer/Thor battle personally

Morbius 10-18-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vartha (Post 27038553)
I wanted more of Thor learning humlity and a longer Destroyer/Thor battle personally

Yes! In any case, I'm sure Thor 2 will at least give us the big sets we wanted :)

Angel 10-18-2013 08:56 AM

did he say that he choose her over asgard or something?

Vartha 10-18-2013 09:16 AM

oooo I hadn't thought of that Angel!

The Young Readers novel has Odin basically suggesting Thor has made a couple lame excuses to go see Jane between the Avengers visit and Thor 2. Basically Odin says don't go.

warriorking 10-18-2013 10:08 AM

''Also, there was nothing inherently remarkable about Jane Foster - as much as I love Natalie Portman - her character was fairly bland to me. Thor just suddenly falls in love with her for no real reason that I could see. Again, Thor is incredibly old and has seen more sights that you or I ever would combined. What is it about THIS woman that makes him choose her?''
'

:cwink: Its a tale as old as time, there is no logic in who we give our heart to..
Many of us have ask the same question in our lives..Why did He or She choose that one...

Shawn30 10-18-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warriorking (Post 27039015)
''Also, there was nothing inherently remarkable about Jane Foster - as much as I love Natalie Portman - her character was fairly bland to me. Thor just suddenly falls in love with her for no real reason that I could see. Again, Thor is incredibly old and has seen more sights that you or I ever would combined. What is it about THIS woman that makes him choose her?''
'

:cwink: Its a tale as old as time, there is no logic in who we give our heart to..
Many of us have ask the same question in our lives..Why did He or She choose that one...

Major agreement here. Love is all kinds of wacky and unpredictible.

speno94 10-18-2013 12:01 PM

Is there a advanced fan screening happening tonight somewhere?

Because yesterday was the press screening, tonight I think is the fan screening (expect more reactions tonight maybe) and Tuesday 22nd is the London Premiere

speno94 10-18-2013 01:27 PM

From Kervyn Cloete @TheKervynator:

"So, mainly positive comments so far from the first international press junket screening for Thor: The Dark World."

From Damian Hewlett @DamiamHewlett

'Watched Thor 2, so good! Well worth a watch"

Figs 10-18-2013 01:39 PM

Not sure who Damian Hewlett is but did this press junket consist of real critics or fanboy website blogger type critics?

If it's real critics that don't have a bias towards liking superhero/comic films then I'm excited to hear that most of the comments were positive.

cherokeesam 10-18-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vartha (Post 27038553)
Yeah, it wasn't explained well enough, about Jane that is. Just seems to ME that Thor sees something IN Jane that is fresh, curiosity of a child in an adult.

The town was part of a set used in a couple westerns actually. They just updated some of the buildings. I wish I knew which westerns though.

Wait a minute....are you guys discussing Thor 1, or Thor 2? :huh:

Quasimod0 10-18-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokeesam (Post 27040155)
Wait a minute....are you guys discussing Thor 1, or Thor 2? :huh:

Thor 1

Octoberist 10-18-2013 04:40 PM

Yeah, I was at first a little confused too.

BigThor 10-18-2013 08:15 PM

Same here

Loki882 10-18-2013 10:21 PM

I quite liked it. I didn't see Jane's actions as "falling in love" per se. I saw it as initially being scientific curiousity and an attraction, but not love YET. Hemsworth, Hiddleston, Hopkins, and Skaarsgard were all excellent and Portman, Elba, Alexander, and the Warriors three were all quite good despite having smaller roles. There wasn't a single BAD performance in the movie. The movie balanced the humor and darker moments well for the most part. Now for some negatives.
1. Asgard looked good overall, but it came across and too cleam and glossy in places.
2. Rene Russo was wasted, I hope that she gets more screentime in TDW.
3. I liked Jane, but I wish she'd been given a little more to do, the same applies to Sif, and the Warriors 3.
4. Laufey was intimidating and Colm Feore was quite good, but he wasn't in the movie nearly enough and needed more to do. His death was cool though.
5. The Destroyer was defeated WAY TOO EASILY!!
Overall, I'd give Thor and 8.5/10.

xeno000 10-19-2013 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loki882 (Post 27042783)
I quite liked it. I didn't see Jane's actions as "falling in love" per se. I saw it as initially being scientific curiousity and an attraction, but not love YET. Hemsworth, Hiddleston, Hopkins, and Skaarsgard were all excellent and Portman, Elba, Alexander, and the Warriors three were all quite good despite having smaller roles. There wasn't a single BAD performance in the movie. The movie balanced the humor and darker moments well for the most part. Now for some negatives.
1. Asgard looked good overall, but it came across and too cleam and glossy in places.
2. Rene Russo was wasted, I hope that she gets more screentime in TDW.
3. I liked Jane, but I wish she'd been given a little more to do, the same applies to Sif, and the Warriors 3.
4. Laufey was intimidating and Colm Feore was quite good, but he wasn't in the movie nearly enough and needed more to do. His death was cool though.
5. The Destroyer was defeated WAY TOO EASILY!!
Overall, I'd give Thor and 8.5/10.

Uh, this thread is for reviews of Thor: The Dark World. We've had more than three years to hash and rehash Thor already.

divan 10-19-2013 07:53 AM

Can we leave this thread for reviews/reactions and that alone? We've got other threads to discuss stuff like the first Thor...

Anyway, some more reactions, not sure if posted:

@TasminLucia Thor 2 is a brilliant film. Can't wait for you all to watch it. Loki is my favourite character. Complex but fun... @twhiddleston @ThorMovies

@Kuato_lives It was alright, I liked it better than Thor 1 but less than Avengers Assemble.

@ephratamain
We saw an advance of Thor: The Dark World today. It is amazing! You are going to LOVE it!

@Nedopak
#ThorDarkWorld was SO GOOD. Prepare to laugh! Studios need to hire TV directors more often. Kudos Alan Taylor. Oh and Loki is amazing!

@DamianHewlett
Watched Thor 2, so good! Well worth a watch

@RealTimVincent
Just seen #thor2 preview if you like the first you will love the 2nd Lordoftherings meets startrek

@coconutprince
All I can say, and everyone brought their A game, is LOKI OWNS #Thor2 Just sayin lol!!!

Vartha 10-19-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Octoberist (Post 27041041)
Yeah, I was at first a little confused too.

He said wasn't happy with what was IN Thor1 basically we were discussing what was missing that time around.

But my second comment to Angel is about the Dark World.
the young readers novel has Odin telling Thor not to go to Earth even tho Thor does sense something wrong. Thor then goes to Heimdall to see what Jane is doing and while Heimdall is watching Jane disappears from Heimdall's sight. which is why Thor goes to Earth.

MessiahDecoy123 10-19-2013 04:23 PM

Are the tweets divan posted above from movie critics?

BigThor 10-19-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 (Post 27045899)
Are the tweets divan posted above from movie critics?

I think they're regular does, but their opinion is actually more important anyway since they're the ones that determine the successs of a film.

Morbius 10-20-2013 09:55 AM

I'm guessing Loki defeats the bad guys?