The SuperHeroHype Forums

The SuperHeroHype Forums (http://forums.superherohype.com/index.php)
-   X-Men: Days of Future Past (http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=489)
-   -   Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14 (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=467489)

Thread Manager 10-27-2013 10:45 PM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - Part 13
 
This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager 10-27-2013 10:45 PM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - Part 12
 
This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

GuestStar2004 10-27-2013 10:45 PM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - Part 13
 
The OT won't be cameos, nothing to worry about there

Nell2ThaIzzay 10-27-2013 10:49 PM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
I sure hope not.

As much as First Class -might- be my favorite of the series, it's not because of the setting.

In fact, I find the setting perhaps the most distracting thing about it. Except for blue and yellow costumes, it just doesn't "look" like X-Men, with an Xavier who can walk and has a full head of hair, Magneto who is young, and Mystique who is Xavier's BFF and a college girl who just wants someone to date, and Moira who is a CIA agent.

Granted, a lot of that is changing now in Days Of Future Past, as Xavier is confined to a wheelchair, Mystique is hardened, Beast is fully blue, etc...

But even with the characters becoming more the iconic characters we all know and love, I still find a Sentinel ruled apocalyptic future where mutants fight for their survival against being put into mutant concentration camps, with characters like more iconic Xavier and Magneto, Storm, Rogue, Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Iceman, and Bishop far more interesting than... 1973.

The Original Bamfer 10-27-2013 10:53 PM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
Until you see the 1973 portion - then you may find that more interesting.

GuestStar2004 10-27-2013 10:58 PM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
We don't really know much about the 1973 part of the story anyway, that seems to be kept quiet

Nell2ThaIzzay 10-27-2013 11:12 PM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Original Bamfer (Post 27097941)
Until you see the 1973 portion - then you may find that more interesting.

I might, but I doubt it. I know what interests me more.

The 1973 portions won't "suck", or be anywhere close to "bad". As I've said, X-Men: First Class very well might be my favorite film in the series.

In light of that, I still prefer the main trilogy version of the characters - the actors, the character selection itself, the portrayals of those characters, etc.

Even with First Class being my favorite movie, that aspect of the movie is still something that minorly holds it back for me. Keyword "minorly".

I never developed the same attachment to the First Class portrayal of the X-Men like so many others here did. To me, the main trilogy is the more "iconic" portrayal of the X-Men. First Class is great, and in many ways captures the essence in ways that the main trilogy didn't, but for me it also lacks that essence in many other ways.

I'd be hyped for a new X-Men movie regardless of if it was First Class cast, or main trilogy cast, but my hype for this movie is even more so because of the involvement of the main trilogy cast in a future setting where Sentinels have taken over. Which is basically what I've wanted in this series with X-Men 3 and didn't get. So in other words, this movie is going to be the movie that I wanted X-Men 3 to be.

Loki882 10-27-2013 11:13 PM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
I liked the changes made in FC, it brought something new to the series. If I want the exact comics X-Men, then I'll read the comics.

Great Mind(s) 10-27-2013 11:16 PM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
I can agree that this might feel like the X-Men 3 we should have had. Or more like a true continuation of the X-Men series from X2... which is why I'm so excited to see the OT cast being done right for the first time since 2003. Hopefully...

Nell2ThaIzzay 10-27-2013 11:17 PM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 (Post 27097967)
We don't really know much about the 1973 part of the story anyway, that seems to be kept quiet

Good. I don't want to be spoilers.

One reason why I believe that X-Men: First Class was one of my best X-Men theater experiences was because I knew next to nothing about it going in.

Unfortunately, part of the problem why I knew next to nothing was because I wasn't particularly into the concept of what they were doing. Until I actually saw it and thought it was a billion times better than it had any business being (which furthers Bamfer's point that when I see the 1973 portion of this film, I may like it more than I'm anticipating. Which is true. Although I'm not anticipating to dislike the 1973 portion. My preference is just for the future portion).

I hyped the ever living crap out of X-Men 3, and didn't hype X-Men Origins: Wolverine up quite as much as I did X-Men 3, but still hyped myself up through the roof for it. I spoiled every damn revealed detail about X-Men 3 for myself, and the first time I watched it, went in with preconceived notions of hating it for the death of Cyclops and Xavier, and the curing of Rogue, and for having built myself up for Sentinels that never were intended to be in the film, and then they weren't. And then with X-Men Origins: Wolverine, I watched the damned leaked version of the film before it even hit theaters.

Unfortunately, my hype for Days Of Future Past is reaching X-Men 3 levels, so I don't know if I can avoid the spoilers when they inevitably come out. But I'm hoping I can. Cuz I want to go into the movie with a clean slate, like I did for X-Men, X2, X-Men: First Class, and The Wolverine.

Nell2ThaIzzay 10-27-2013 11:22 PM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) (Post 27098057)
I can agree that this might feel like the X-Men 3 we should have had. Or more like a true continuation of the X-Men series from X2... which is why I'm so excited to see the OT cast being done right for the first time since 2003. Hopefully...

Well for me, I irrationally hyped myself up for Sentinels in X-Men 3, and totally convinced myself that Sentinels were going to be in the movie (and not just the Danger Room sequence), and convinced myself that they SHOULD be in the movie. And then I never got Sentinels. And originally, I bashed the ever living crap out of X-Men 3 because it wasn't the movie I built up in my mind.

Of course I love X-Men 3 now, because I came to judge it for what it actually was, rather than what I thought it "should be", but now getting a movie with Sentinels, with one of my favorite X-Men stories, I actually am getting that movie that I wanted X-Men 3 to be, which will probably lessen even further the disappointment I had in X-Men 3 simply because I don't need it to fill a particular void anymore that it never did anyways, and never really aspired to fill in the first place.

For me, it's a win win. I get the X-Men movie I always wanted, and by doing so, another X-Men movie doesn't get dinged in my mind for not being that movie.

marvelrobbins 10-27-2013 11:23 PM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
We are probally looking at 40 Minutes In future and roughly 1 hour and 20 to 1 hour and 25 minutes in 1973.

Illuminata 10-27-2013 11:35 PM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
I've come to accept the fact that the OT Cast are nothing but Box Office candy. First Class proved that Xavier, Magneto, Mystique with obscure mutants don't bring in box office dollars. FOX realized very quickly that the audience wants the iconic X-Men yet they don't want to lose the popular Lawrence, Fassbender and McAvoy neither.

They are just bringing in the core X-Men to sell tickets but I'm not expecting those roles to be very large. When rumors on here say the focus on the 70's I believe it. I think we'll probably receive only "Glorified" cameos from the OT Cast ... :(

xDOFPx 10-27-2013 11:45 PM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
They won't be glorified cameos. I think that has been made quite clear. I don't think 40 minutes is all they'll get either. I reckon more in line of 45-50 minutes as there's too many future characters to fit into 40 minutes or less. You can't fit all that plot into that little time.

They can't give essentially six characters 1.5 hrs of the movies and relegate the vast future cast to like two minutes screen time each. It doesn't work if it's too much past and not enough future. If is turns out that way it will be disappointing as I think it will take away from what the movie should have been. The future scenes are essential to bring the tone and real excitement.

JP 10-28-2013 12:04 AM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illuminata (Post 27098183)
I've come to accept the fact that the OT Cast are nothing but Box Office candy. First Class proved that Xavier, Magneto, Mystique with obscure mutants don't bring in box office dollars. FOX realized very quickly that the audience wants the iconic X-Men yet they don't want to lose the popular Lawrence, Fassbender and McAvoy neither.

They are just bringing in the core X-Men to sell tickets but I'm not expecting those roles to be very large. When rumors on here say the focus on the 70's I believe it. I think we'll probably receive only "Glorified" cameos from the OT Cast ... :(

Not rumors.

Antihero 10-28-2013 12:06 AM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illuminata (Post 27098183)
I've come to accept the fact that the OT Cast are nothing but Box Office candy. First Class proved that Xavier, Magneto, Mystique with obscure mutants don't bring in box office dollars. FOX realized very quickly that the audience wants the iconic X-Men yet they don't want to lose the popular Lawrence, Fassbender and McAvoy neither.
(

Wolverine
Charles Xavier
Cyclops
Jean Grey
Rogue
Storm
Magneto
And arguably Beast and Gambit

The director was stupid enough to kill off Cyc and Jean.

JP 10-28-2013 12:06 AM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by xDOFPx (Post 27098249)

They can't give essentially six characters 1.5 hrs of the movies and relegate the vast future cast to like two minutes screen time each. It doesn't work if it's too much past and not enough future. If is turns out that way it will be disappointing as I think it will take away from what the movie should have been. The future scenes are essential to bring the tone and real excitement.

See: every incarnation of Days of Future Past that has ever been done since it's original inception.

Nell2ThaIzzay 10-28-2013 12:10 AM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JP (Post 27098355)
See: every incarnation of Days of Future Past that has ever been done since it's original inception.

Well, I don't know if that's truly an accurate barometer.

See: comics nor cartoons give a clearly altered future, but the prevailing theory is that the movie is going to have a clearly changed future, ripe with Cyclops and Jean Grey in all their merry, alive again glory.

Ryudoz 10-28-2013 12:10 AM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by xDOFPx (Post 27098249)
They won't be glorified cameos. I think that has been made quite clear. I don't think 40 minutes is all they'll get either. I reckon more in line of 45-50 minutes as there's too many future characters to fit into 40 minutes or less. You can't fit all that plot into that little time.

They can't give essentially six characters 1.5 hrs of the movies and relegate the vast future cast to like two minutes screen time each. It doesn't work if it's too much past and not enough future. If is turns out that way it will be disappointing as I think it will take away from what the movie should have been. The future scenes are essential to bring the tone and real excitement.

You do realize that there are TV Shows that can pack whole or even half of a whole plot arc in a 40 minute time frame, right? So 40 minutes might even be a bit generous, considering that all you'd need to establish the tone and bleakness of the future would be a few minutes to introduce the characters, basic plot elements, and the initial plan to change things. See the original Terminator movie. Very little dabbling in the future outside of establishing the framework of the time travel, Reese's goal of coming back, and the threat that was current chasing Sarah. It could just be my opinion, but I think that the tone and excitement of the film wasn't primarily held in those few scenes but in the bulk of the film that regarded the "past".

Also, extended cameos even for the new mutants they are showing wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility just for the sheer amount of people and potential plot they are dealing with. Nevermind the fact that the franchise is still very much in Wolverine's claws and how you have to service the Charles/Erik dynamic and the budding importance of Mystique in all of this. Toss in additional scenes like Alex's war scene(s), Young Charles/Erik interactions, as well as the antagonist perspective and it really doesn't leave much for the Original cast to do it seems. Unless the movie is going to be longer than we all think.

Then again, this is all just assumption on my part.

A Dollar Short 10-28-2013 12:14 AM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
Not worried about the past being the main focus since we have known that all along. Doesn't mean we can't get some great scenes and character moments in the future. Love both casts, but of course I'm looking forward most to the future scenes.

I posted something similar before, but here's my attempt at a breakdown of the future scenes:

15 minute start to the film in the future setting. Let them set up the story by introducing the new mutants, catching up on what our favorite X-Men are up to, send Wolverine back in time, etc.
A few 5 (give or take) minute scenes sprinkled throughout the middle.
15-20 minute full on Sentinel tear down **** fest with some our favorite characters dying.
5-10 minute ending in a restored future.

marvelrobbins 10-28-2013 12:18 AM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
A cameo Is 1 or 2 scenes.we will be dealing with according to rumors rough a 2 hour and 8 minute film not counting credits so probally at least 40 minutes and possibly as much as 45 to 50 minutes of final film.

JP 10-28-2013 12:19 AM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
People want to see the OT characters, not because it serves the story, but because they love those guys. And that's not realistically fair to the source material. There has never in the history of the comics/cartoons been any version of DoFP where the future aspect is the primary focus. It's there to move the plot along, and nothing more. Not saying the future part of this movie isn't in any way important, but it should never take presidence.

If First Class never happened, and this movie was instead an X4, where those who were left at the end of X3 were suddenly visited by a character from the future, would anyone be clamoring to see MORE of said future? Probably not. But because of the nature of how this series worked itself out, with two film casts being used, people want to see "more" of that future. And by all accounts we are, at least more than what would usually be shown in this storyline, but it's not going to pull focus in any way. The casting sides and filming schedule prove this.

psylockolussus 10-28-2013 12:28 AM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by A Dollar Short (Post 27098391)
Not worried about the past being the main focus since we have known that all along. Doesn't mean we can't get some great scenes and character moments in the future. Love both casts, but of course I'm looking forward most to the future scenes.

Same here. We know there's more excitement to the long-awaited of the original cast compare to the return of the FC cast. So if the majority of the viewers didn't get enough from the OT cast and it became a criticism to the film, I'm pretty sure that would encourage FOX more to do another film with the OT cast, which is a good thing!:woot:

Nell2ThaIzzay 10-28-2013 12:28 AM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JP (Post 27098415)
People want to see the OT characters, not because it serves the story, but because they love those guys. And that's not realistically fair to the source material. There has never in the history of the comics/cartoons been any version of DoFP where the future aspect is the primary focus. It's there to move the plot along, and nothing more. Not saying the future part of this movie isn't in any way important, but it should never take presidence.

If First Class never happened, and this movie was instead an X4, where those who were left at the end of X3 were suddenly visited by a character from the future, would anyone be clamoring to see MORE of said future? Probably not. But because of the nature of how this series worked itself out, with two film casts being used, people want to see "more" of that future. And by all accounts we are, at least more than what would usually be shown in this storyline, but it's not going to pull focus in any way. The casting sides and filming schedule prove this.

True, and my preferences aside, the First Class cast -should- be the focus. The "past" (rather present) is the focus in the comics, and the cartoons, and should be in the movies as well.

But in the comics, the future setting does play a rather significant role, and should in the film as well. It's not the primary, no. The primary focus is on trying to prevent the assassination attempt. And that shouldn't change. But the future mission of Storm, Logan, Colossus, etc... trying to infiltrate the Sentinel main base of operations is rather key. I doubt it plays out identical to the books, but the film will seemingly have raids on internment camps to break out mutants like Rogue, as well as however they come across Bishop, Blink, Warpath and Sunspot and go into the past. We see the action shots involving Storm, and there's an explosion in the temple in the leaked trailer, which I would assume is a Sentinel attack on the temple and they have to find a way to protect Logan.

You are correct when you say that the future shouldn't be the main focus, but I also believe they should be more than just glorified cameos as well. I have hope that they will be. But if the future ends up being more in line with the future sequences in the Terminator movies, I'm going to be severely disappointed.

marvelrobbins 10-28-2013 12:29 AM

Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14
 
Well the future was never going to primary focus of film.Inless they would have gone for a 50/50 focus but Bryan Singer himself said majority of film would be
set In past,and that Is fitting the source material

40 Minutes Is close to length of a TV drama episode.

It's clear part of promation for film Involves the OT cast.

This Is clearly a Xavier,Magneto,and wolverine story.

Rogue and Kitty should play important roles In future while Mystique,Beast,and
Trask are key players In past.

Don't forget signs are pointing like comics and wolverine and the X-Men to cutting back and forth between future and 1973.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com, A property of CraveOnline, a divison of AtomicOnline, LLC © 2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.