View Single Post
Old 09-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #7
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: I don't get the Wrath of Khan reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthooper
I understand your point, and it is well taken, and this question is a bit off topic but is Khan really considered the best? I ask this not because I don't believe it, I just don't know. I am no Trekkie or Trekker, I really enjoyed the TNG series and most of the TNG films, and I liked Khan. But all that said, I would think that First Contact would be considered the best in the entire franchise. It's the best written, best acted and most important one in the franchise. I get Singer's Khan reference, but isn't it lost on most people? If Khan was immediately recognized as important, I can see it, but I just don't see it. Why reference it? It's good but how good?
There are ten Trek movies. When polls are made...the 2 Trek films that predominately come out as the best are "Wrath of Khan" and "First Contact".

Khan was the second film....Contact was the eighth.

Since it takes six more movies before one is considered better than Khan....it's rep is pretty good.

Khan is important to the franchise, because it changed the direction (uniforms, sets, secondary characters, etc...) that the first one had....and they continued until the end of the run of the "original" character's series (it's stuff was carried into the seventh movie).

So...Star Trek the Motion Picture started the movie franchise (and almost killed it)....and Khan managed to resurrect it, make it better, and continue for decades.