Thread: Angry Superman?
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #17
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Default Re: Angry Superman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujho
Also, the idea that Darkseid or Doomsday would not "translate all that well onto the big screen" is uterly preposterous. Superman is fantasy, adventure, science fiction, action. People are obsessed with the notion of what will "fit in into Donner/Singer's universe" (insert "Nolan" when talking about Batman) or what would "work on screen", and it's just rubbish, eliminating key aspects of the character or his world because of some arbitrary idea that things can't get too big or outlandish or whatever. Narrowing the scope of what Superman can be. Making Supeman the only extraordinary thing in a mundane world and saying it can't/shouldn't be any other way.
What I meant is that a character design like Darkseid's, when taken from ink-and-paper and brought into 3-D, would look silly. I'm not arguing that Darkseid isn't an important part of the Superman story; hell, I'm one of the few folks here who seem to like Superman having the larger-than-life adventures instead of watering him down.

What I meant is that a character design like Darkseid's, when taken from ink-and-paper and brought into 3-D, would look silly. I'm saying that Superman fighting a 12-foot-tall gray man in a tank top who looks like the love child of the Thing and a Sentinel wouldn't exactly work as well as it does when drawn. Granted, makeup effects have done impressive work with some of the more outlandish-looking superheroes lately (Hellboy immediately springs to mind), but I personally just can't picture a full-size live action Darkseid not looking incredibly fake.

As for the rest of your argument, I honestly agree with you that Superman should be able to let loose once someone pushes him far enough- I'll admit to misunderstanding your original intent. However, the problem is picking someone who can take the brunt of that sort of outburst without being completely obliterated. Sure, Lex Luthor could easily find a way to provoke him that much, but why on Earth would he want to? The only characters I can see who would knowingly and intentionally piss Supes off would be guys who could conceivably survive it, and most of those guys would know better anyway.

Andy C. is offline   Reply With Quote