Thread: Angry Superman?
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 07:38 PM   #18
lujho
Side-Kick

Default Re: Angry Superman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C.
What I meant is that a character design like Darkseid's, when taken from ink-and-paper and brought into 3-D, would look silly. I'm not arguing that Darkseid isn't an important part of the Superman story; hell, I'm one of the few folks here who seem to like Superman having the larger-than-life adventures instead of watering him down.

What I meant is that a character design like Darkseid's, when taken from ink-and-paper and brought into 3-D, would look silly. I'm saying that Superman fighting a 12-foot-tall gray man in a tank top who looks like the love child of the Thing and a Sentinel wouldn't exactly work as well as it does when drawn. Granted, makeup effects have done impressive work with some of the more outlandish-looking superheroes lately (Hellboy immediately springs to mind), but I personally just can't picture a full-size live action Darkseid not looking incredibly fake.
Okay, I see you meant visually. Well, I still disagree - he'd be incredibly easy to put on screen because he's quite human - just needs great make-up and the right physical performer. Darkseid is not 12 feet tall for one, and I think you can have a little leeway with his costume - it doesn't matter if he's wearing a purple tank-top or not, what matters is the face and skin texture and physical size (nowhere near 12 feet).

He'd look great on screen, and just as easily translatable as Hellboy - Hellboy is the model to follow, faithful but not slavishly so. Movie Hellboy wasn't proportioned like Mignola's hellboy, didn't have little hooves, didn't wear a little pair of shorts and no shirt. The face wasn't cartoonish like Mignola's art but it was definitely Hellboy, and getting the head/face right is 90% of the job.

lujho is offline   Reply With Quote