View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 05:41 PM   #46
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Of all the comic book movies I've seen, NONE of them holds a candle to S:TM in my eyes.

I used to think Spider-Man was a better movie, until I saw SM2 and realized that in terms of capturing the character, Tobey was the perfect Peter Parker, but he was a lousy Spider-Man. Where were the wisecracks? The one-liners that he could only get away with when he has the mask on? Plus, between the two of them, there was way too much sap. Character development is always a plus, but c'mon...enough of trying to woo MJ already; give Aunt May a near-fatal blood transfusion or something - at this stage in the game I'd have taken the Master Planner over Venom easily. I can't bring myself to actually sit through SM3 - 'Hey, Sam! Here's an idea! Let's make our supervillain the REAL killer of the hero's father-figure!' To quote Hedley Lamarr, I hate that cliche.

Also, I think Batman Begins is far and away the best Batman movie, but Bale didn't do anything that Keaton hadn't already done (speaking in a raspy voice whenever he has the mask on, for instance). He just looked better than anyone else before him who'd played Batman. Plus the best menace they could come up with for him to fight was a bunch of ninjas with a biological weapon - which, IIRC, was the exact same menace posed in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret Of The Ooze. My older brother, who's the REAL comic-book geek in our bloodline, can't even convince himself to watch Batman Begins, simply because of Katie Holmes.

Granted, S:TM may look today like it was made in 1978, and some of the dialogue is on the cheesy side, but I've been able to watch that movie over and over and over and not get tired of it. Reeve's the glue that holds that sucker together, with a little help from John Williams.

http://jochimus.deviantart.com
Jochimus is offline   Reply With Quote