View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #86
Avangarde
Avan a Good Time

Default Re: Transformers comics

Furman Blog March 17, 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Furman View Post
SCRIPT (W)RAP, ARTIST OVERLAP. As a certain Wheelie might say. Almost forgotten, unfairly so, in the general hubbub surrounding the announcement of June’s Spotlight: Cyclonus, the first of the four ‘Revelation’ themed Spotlights, is the similarly June shipping and wholly notable Spotlight: Wheelie. Notable because, apart from the fact that Wheelie is possibly the last Transformers character many (myself included) thought would ever merit a Spotlight, my involvement (as writer) is far more backseat than usual. This is very much a team effort with artist/colourist Klaus Scherwinski, who came up with the original premise for the story, convinced me to get involved (no mean feat) and worked with me closely on developing the idea into a working and well-rounded story. In fact, it’s fair to say that Klaus has been the driving force behind the whole project, and his sheer enthusiasm for the character (not to mention artistic skill) got me trying my absolute best to make it one no one should miss, both in terms of the story itself and it’s place in the wider scheme of things. Really, though, at this stage my job is only half done (so this is kind of half a Script (W)rap). Given how involved he was from the ground up, it seemed a waste of Klaus’s amazing storytelling abilities to do this as a full script, so I reverted to what has become known as Marvel-style plot, wherein you describe whole scenes, broken down in clutches of pages, and then hand it over to the artist. Then, once the art comes along, you add in the dialog. Of course, a lot of that dialog is already there, based on our back-and-to discussions and Klaus’s own breakdown-stage notes. It’s been a fun and refreshing change of pace, and I’m looking forward to stage 2, which is pulling all the dialog together as finished pages roll in. So what can you expect from Spotlight: Wheelie? Well, a really solid, character-led story for a start. For a large part, it’s just Wheelie, doing his level best to survive against all the odds. Then there’s a certain trio of Decepticons making their debut, plus a last-but-one page shocker that’ll just floor you! And ties into stuff that’s in the works for 09 and beyond! Oh, and we even get into why (by the end of the issue at least) Wheelie talks in rhyming couplets. As far as Spotlights go, we really think this one is the full ticket. Who’da thunk it!!

XBOX ONE
Stiffbiscuitz
Avangarde is offline   Reply With Quote