View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #55
jmc247
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Polaris Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Yes and it makes me sick. Ever since she was created they have ALWAYS had her lean on a man. Whether its Bobby, Alex or Magneto, she cant stand on her own two feet without falling apart without a man by her side. Late X-factor seemed to be one of the few times she was single and actually doing well for herself. I really wish they wouldnt write her so weak. She's arguably one of the strongest mutants out there and its ironic how weak her character is in spite of that
I certainly agree with you, but Marvel likes to have incredible powerful characters, especially their female characters have some sort of deep flaw, usually mentally or emotionally. Just look at Wanda, she is one of the most powerful if not the most powerful mutant of all time and yet she also has deep mental and emotional problems.

Quote:
I guess overall one thing Ive disliked about the way Lorna has been handled over the years is how inconsistent she's been. Its hard to get a feel for her and her character when they are always changing her up. For the most part, you know who Storm, Rogue, Emma, Jean, etc... are bc their personalities tend to stay consistent based on different writing but not Lorna as she's all over the place. Since returning she's been written by Morrison, Austen, Milligan, Brubaker and Yost. Each of their versions of Lorna was different. Milligan and Brubakers probably being the most similiar but then again they wrote her so generic that the character they called Lorna could have been anyone. I wish someone would see something in her and really take an interest in her and write the definitive version of Lorna.
You just hit on the head regarding the biggest single problem with Lorna over the years. No writer has either had the time or been willing to spend the the time with the character to solidify who Lorna is as a character. So what ends up happening is new writers pick and chose from certain eras in Lorna's time in the comics and write the character based on the version of Lorna they like.

Morrison and Austen clearly liked the 60s M2 version of Lorna and wrote the character as a modern derivation of that. Milligan and Bru in particular liked 70s Lorna who you correctly pointed out was a very generic character and there was nothing in either Bru or Milligan's runs that let Lorna stand out as a character. Yost seemed to like a toned down version of Austen's 2004 Lorna.

Until a writer does for Lorna what Claremont did for Magneto, meaning he or she is allowed several years to create an interesting persona for Lorna as well as an interesting backstory for the character, she will continue to simply be seen by Marvel as in the words of some fans yesterday on Newsarama a 'filler character'. And, she will swing from persona to persona depending on the writer.

Last edited by jmc247; 03-18-2008 at 12:42 PM.
jmc247 is offline   Reply With Quote