View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 11:50 PM   #92
The Major
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Shadow, the Phantom or Dick Tracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATS N' HORNETS View Post
i think if anyone is going to say anything about the Shadow or the Phantom, then they need to know the characters... These aren't generic well known comic heroes like Spidey or Batman... they are living legends... I mean the Shadow is from 1931 & the Phantom from the 40's... They haven't recieved nearly enough attention but are still as strong as Batman.
Agreed.

Quote:
I think the reason that films made about the pulp heroes are and will always be doomed from the start.
Hopefully that'll change one day.

Quote:
They are not as well known and can't be adapted properly...
Not being well known is probably affecting how well they're going to be adapted.

Comic book characters are more well known these days then pulps in Hollywood so they're more likely to get made then pulps.

I'd love to see either Raimi or Nolan do a dark revamp on Shadow to make it closer to the pulps.

The realism, detail, intelligence, creativity and brutality of The Shadow's pulps would be amazing to see on film. The Sin City and Batman Begins audiences would love it.

Quote:
The pulps had sex & violence and death and murder that is too strong for some generic hollywood adapted PG-13 film... They should all have a SIN CITY feel to them...
I agree. The Shadow was great but it chose campy over pulp for its story. Perhaps they thought it would appeal to more people that way.

Making Lamont Cranston The Shadow's true alias instead of Kent Allard did make sense. It would be to confusing for the audience in that story. They'd need a Begins style movie to make the Kent secret identity that work IMO.

At least it introduced the franchise to more people so Hollywood might one day relaunch it.

Last edited by The Major; 04-24-2008 at 03:25 AM.
The Major is offline   Reply With Quote