View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #59
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: Am I the only one who feels like B'89 is vastly overrated?

Quote:
Batman didn't willingly go after Joker with a gun, he shot the grappling gun in an attempt to keep his ass on the roof. He never set out to kill Joker, it was never implied that he was going to as far as I remember, he beat the hell out of him on the church, yeah, and he said that he had to stop him but absolutely no indication that he'd kill Joker.
He very much wanted to kill him. He says "I'm going to kill you!" when he's got him by the lapel. However, you can't say that Batman knew using his bola on The Joker would lead to The Joker's death. Batman couldn't possibly have known that the stone gargoyle would come loose like that, and that The Joker would be stupid enough to hang onto the ladder.

Quote:
Keaton being hollow...
I don't even know what this means. If you can't figure out Bruce Wayne's motivations and emotional state by the end of BATMAN, you're just not watching the movie. And if we're talking him being emotionally unavailable, that's simply not the case either. There are several scenes where Keaton gives some of the most emotional and immediate performances of the franchise in BATMAN. The dinner scene alone shows more "humanity" to him than most Batman actors had.

Quote:
Keaton by far IS the best live action Batman, did we see him go over to Hong Kong or wherever the hell it was to train for an hour before he dons the Batman persona? Nope. He's an emotionally awkward scarred Bruce Wayne which is EXACTLY how he should be portrayed in the comics but seeing as how DC Comics writers can't write for crap in a consistent manner when it comes to the caped crusader, throw any understanding of psychological value out the window now.
He wasn't THAT emotionally awkward. People see him "forget" he's Bruce Wayne or Batman and go "He must be socially awkward". That's just not the case. The man may have been a tiny bit absentminded about his day to day affairs (like the comic book Wayne), but he was not that awkward, if at all.

[quote]The Joker dancing, being weird, eccentric, OFF HIS FREAKING ROCKER?! Why so serious? ...I mean, are you serious? Have you read the comic books?[quote]

Agreed. It's obvious that some here simply have a problem with the Joker being too "comic book". I can't wait to see Heath Ledger's Joker get a pass for that element when he ends up doing very similarly "odd" things.

Quote:
And ALTHOUGH every other Batman obsessed fanatic has a problem with Alfred letting Vicki Vale into the Batcave...
It's just not that big a deal. It's not like Alfred told Vicki Bruce was Batman. She figured it out on her own.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote