View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 11:57 PM   #70
CFE
This is a job for...

Default Re: Am I the only one who feels like B'89 is vastly overrated?

After reading the OP again, I decided to take a crack at it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubastis View Post
I can't stand Keaton's hollow performance.
Keaton was the most psychologically driven and empathetic live action Batman. As someone's sig suggests Bale might have played Batman...but Keaton WAS Batman.

Quote:
And lack of chemistry with the also hollow Kim Bassinger. (who was only in the film because of her relationship with Jon "Giant Spider" Peters).
1: It's BASINGER
2: Kim was in the film because following Sean Young's accident, she was available. Then as a pleasant surprise, she pulled off a decent performance on short notice.
3: Don't make a Kevin Smith/Superman Lives reference. It's tacky.

Quote:
I hate the idea that Batman exists solely out of revenge for his parents, or that he would be willing to kill the joker with a gun.
Batman DOES exist out of revenge for his parents! As for the murder, that's how it was in 1939, and you obviously had to have known that portion of the mythology was the primary inspiration for the film.

Quote:
I hate the lack of any reason to care about any of the characters
I suppose it's all a matter of opinion. Though for the record I cheered on for Keaton's Batman to succeed more than I ever did for Kilmer or Clooney.

Quote:
I hate the lack of any connection between the moment where Bruce Wayne's parents are shot and Bruce Wayne becoming Batman
Again...How it was in '39.

Quote:
I hate the lack of any explanation as to how the Joker's Goons got on top of the church tower
It's a movie. From the moment Bruce 'goes to work' to the moment where Batman saves Vicki and himself from plummeting to their deaths...you should be doing absolutely NOTHING but being entertained. As opposed to "Begins" which, for reasons that escape me, insisted on cutting away from the climax every so often to remind me (by remind me, I mean hit me over the head) with Ras' evil plan of 'blowing the water supply.'

Quote:
I hate the way one shot from a six-shooter that has inexplicably been hidden in the joker's pant leg can destroy the frickin' bat-plane.
Again...It's a movie. And it's called the Batwing...please keep the terminology correct.

Quote:
I hate the poor characterization of Batman.
See the first response of this post.

Quote:
The goddamn prince songs, to this day, make the film teeth-grittingly dated and unwatchable, as are the sequences of the Joker dancing like a moron to them.
There's an aspect to the Joker's character that always acts like a fool in public. Especially since Jack's idea of the character was that of him being mentally "short-wired" following the chemical bath at Axis. I mean the scene was essentially Joker killing every patron in an Art Museum (sans Vale) with toxic gas, then SPASTICALLY DANCING AROUND THEIR CORPSES to boistrous Pop Music while vandilizing the Art. If that doesn't scream Joker, I don't know what the hell does.

And Prince's songs rocked...If you're gonna nitpick about THAT, of all things, don't bother...

Quote:
I don't know why the Joker feels the necessity to create an ant-batman PR campaign as if he has something to gain by the public hating batman, like they're running for mayor of Gotham.
An Anti-Batman PR Campaign? The Joker making Batman look bad to the public?

Huh...sounds an awful lot like an aspect of what the Joker's doing in "TDK" as well doesn't it...

-----

I didn't bother with the rest. Both El Payaso and Kevin have pointed out on numerous occasions the logic behind Alfred revealing Bruce's identity to Vicki in an effort to emotionally save him.

And the last arguement was garbage, so THAT was entirely ignored.

CFE

Chas Blankenship's "BAT-MANIA - The Exhibition Blog" -- Chas Blankenship's "SUPER-MANIA - The Exhibition Blog" - Coming Soon
CFE is offline   Reply With Quote