View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
bbf2
Side-Kick

Default Re: An In-Depth Ranking of all the Comic Book Movie Super Villains

29. Two-Face (Batman Forever)
Played by: Tommy Lee Jones

The next couple villains are actually more embarrassing and harder to watch onscreen, but Schumacher’s Two-Face goes here because they ruined the potential of a fantastic comics villain. This is an utter misfire of colossal proportions, both on the part of Schumacher and Jones. Two-Face is a haunted, tragic, figure – he shouldn’t be acting like an over-the-top Joker ripoff. Jones spent the entire movie acting as campy as possible, chewing the scenery and trying to out-Joker Jim Carrey – it kind of made sense for the Riddler to be over the top and humorous, but having Two-Face join in was a horrible idea. Wouldn’t it work better, cinematically, to have one humorous and one serious, threatening villain? Plus, he looked absolutely horrible visually – the scarred side of his face looked like chewed up pink bubble gum, and don’t get me started on the leopard print. Also, casting Jones made no sense – Harvey Dent was supposed to be a handsome and successful DA, but Jones is most famous for his grumpy looking demeanor and his acne scars.

28. Poison Ivy (Batman and Robin)
Played by: Uma Thurman
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/shadowfirejosh/dumb****.jpg[/IMG]
This character is a complete embarrassment to watch, and Thurman is probably the worst actor in the movie. The actual cinematic character onscreen is equally as bad or worse than the previous four entries, but she goes ahead of them because the other four are incredible characters in the comic books and Poison Ivy doesn’t have much too potential to begin with. Still, there’s not much to be said that hasn’t been – from her ridiculous origins to her gorilla suit strip, Thurman tries to camp it up as much as possible and is a major contributor to Batman and Robin being considered one of the worst films of all time.

27. Galactus (Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer)
Played by: A cloud

I wasn’t sure whether to include FF2’s Galactus in this list at all since it’s not really a character in the movie. I mean, they take a full fledged character and turn him into….a space cloud. A cloud with all the same motivations, origin, role, and name of the Galactus from the comics, but a cloud nonetheless. Tying him into the F4’s origin was kind of neat, and I understand why they didn’t want a giant guy in purple….but they couldn’t make him resemble a human being AT ALL? Or even have a voice? A freaking cloud? Come on!

26 and 25. Blackheart and Mephisto (Ghost Rider, 2007)
Played by: Wes Bently, Peter Fonda

I’m a huge Marvel comics fan…and yet, I never would have seen this movie if I didn’t have to review it for the UCLA TV station. I grouped these two together, but Bently is worse in the film so Blackheart is 26. They’re both completely bland and lame, but they aren’t lower because the movie was so forgettable and no one cares about Ghost Rider’s villains. Both Bently and Fonda completely phone the roles in and look like they’re reading off of cue cards. I guess Blackheart and Mephisto’s motivations, origins, and actions are pretty much exactly the same as the (lame, one dimensional) comics characters, except they’re humans instead of giant monster demonds. There was a rumor that Blackheart was going to appear in giant demonic form in the movie, but alas, it was not to be. The movie sucked, these characters sucked, let’s move on.

24 and 23. Juggernaut and Sabretooth (X-Men, 2000, and X-Men III, 2006.)
Played by: Vinnie Jones, Tyler Mane

Another group that I batched together (I didn’t mean to have both pairs next to each other, but it worked out that way.) They appeared in different movies, but their role is the exact same: Major independent, and dangerous X-Men villains (who rarely interact with Magneto) who are relegated to Magneto’s brute strength henchmen in the movies. And yet, its not nearly as infuriating as Bane in B&R because they both show signs of their personalities (Juggy’s unstoppableness, Sabretooth’s feralness) despite being relegated to henchmen, and their roles kind of work in the film. It’s not really a flaw in the films that they were dumbed down, since they’re all ensemble films and that was the only way to make it work (Surely having Juggernaut be a mutant is a much better idea than explaining the Ruby of the Cytorak crap, and explaining their histories with Xavier and Wolverine, respectively, would be out of place and unnecessary.) Still, this makes their rankings as villain translations pretty low. Juggnernaut is slightly lower because of his stupid line from the YouTube video. I expect Liev Scheiber’s upcoming portrayal of Victor Creed to be miles better and explore the intricacies of the character.

22. Penguin (Batman Returns, 1992)
Played by: Danny DeVito

So as you can tell, I didn’t really like the original Batman movies. This is probably where my opinion deviates from a lot of peoples: I know a lot of people who actually love this movie and like this portrayal better, and I can see where they’re coming from, since the Penguin of the comics isn’t particularly interesting. But…I freaking hate this movie, because of this ridiculous Penguin. The Penguin is supposed to be a sophisticated upper class mob moss, and Burton actually took the reverse route one usually takes and turned a plausible and realistic comic villain into an over-the-top and ridiculous one. This character completely disgusted me, with his grey oversuit and nose biting and unnecessary weirdness. Roger Ebert put it best when he said “I felt sorry for the Penguin, but did not fear him, or find him funny.”

Last edited by bbf2; 08-04-2008 at 06:53 PM.
bbf2 is offline   Reply With Quote