View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #101
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: Why Does Frank Miller Hate Superman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddzball View Post
There is the Superman Concept as depicted by Byrne, Stern, Jones, Bridwell, Bates, Hamilton, Binder and a host of other writers. Then there is Frankie all on his ownsome over there screaming "It's a lie. I and I alone, only me know the truth!"
Not at all. First of all, the Superman Concept as depicted by John Byrne and Roger Stern is very different from the Silver Age/Bronze Age Mort Weisinger Superman Concept as depicted by Otto Binder, E. Nelson Bridwell and Cary Bates.

Secondly, Frank isn't all on his own screaming "It's a lie. I and I alone, only me know the truth!" Frank Miller has stayed true to the Superman Concepts as depicted by John Byrne and Superman's creator's Siegel & Shuster.

As seen in The Dark Knight Returns, Miller's Clark Kent displays confidence like John Byrne's version.

And the Golden Age Siegel & Shuster Clark Kent was quite confident. The portrayal of Clark in both the Fleischer cartoons and The Adventures of Superman TV show starring George Reeves reflect that.

Unlike the Silver Age/Bronze Age nerves Mr. Sensitive Clark Kent which went beyond "mild mannered" status and straight into "wimp" mode.

As seen in The Dark Knight Returns, Miller's Superman was obedient to President Ronald Reagan and so was John Byrne's Superman as seen in Legends.

Miller's Superman is a deputized public servant. Byrne's Superman was appointed special deputy by the mayor of Metropolis in Man of Steel #4.

Miller's Superman is not friends with Batman and neither was Byrne's Superman as seen in Man of Steel #3.

As seem in The Dark Knight Returns, Miller's Superman is incredibly powerful but not invulnerable. A nuclear blast almost kills him. Byrne's Superman is also not invulnerable. Neither was Siegel & Shuster's. Weisinger's Superman is nearly invulnerable.

Miller's Superman is not super-intelligent, and neither is Byrne's, nor was Siegel & Shuster's Golden Age Superman. Weisinger's Silver Age Superman is super-intelligent.

Miller's Superman is an all American farm boy at heart, and so was Byrne's. Someone whose home is Earth and whose identity is solidly formed by his adoptive parents' values, without displaying any desire to return to Krypton. Siegel & Shuster's Superman displayed no desire to return to Krypton. Unlike Wesinger's Superman unhappy, feeling out of place, lonely, mopping and pining for Krypton.

Miller's Superman is romantically involved with Wonder Woman, and so was Byrne's.

In All-Star Batman & Robin Superman doesn't fly. He runs faster than a locomotive, which is a tribute to the original Siegel & Shuster Superman.

And as seen in DK2, Miller's Luthor is also true to Luthor as depicted by Byrne. A seriously creepy, cruel and manipulative mastermind operating secretly behind a mask of respectability -- secretly manipulating others to his ends. One of the richest men in the world. And easily one of the most powerful.

B i R D M A N
In theaters now.

Better Call Saul
On AMC in February.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 09-29-2008 at 03:06 PM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote