View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #114
Bat-Mite
Side-Kick

Default Re: What Happened to ... Wayne Enterprises, the Monorail

The monorail is present in the film and very noticeable when we first see the Joker. When the camera zooms in on his back, it's there in the background, and I even remember people talking about it when the prologue was first released.

The Wayne Tower building is obviously present in the film, since it's shown in the background while Bats and Joker are dueling in the street. Maybe Wayne still owns it and maybe he moved his company to another building while it's being repaired. Or maybe the particular meetings that take place in TDK just happen in one of the other buildings that he owns for whatever reason. Maybe he sold Wayne Tower after it was damaged. There are a lot of reasons I can think of as to why things happened the way they did with the buildings, none of which merit a lot of focus. Tedious babbling about why a meeting is taking place in a certain building would have done this movie no favors with its already lengthy running time, and certainly wouldn't have helped to advance the story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Guardian View Post
Not that I didn't like the new...version of it, but Wayne Tower was such an integral part of Begins, I think TDK feels too much apart from its precursor film. There aren't all that many things linking it to Begins,
Bruce Wayne, Lucius Fox, Gordon, Alfred, Rachel Dawes, and Scarecrow all appear in the previous movie and 5 out of 6 of them are all played by the same actors. Harvey Dent appears to replace the D.A. that was killed in the first film. The mob are desperate because the fall of Carmine Falcone and Batman's continued crusade against them has weakened them. Wayne Manor's destruction is mentioned at the beginning of the film. The same batmobile is used, as is the same batsuit for the beginning of the film. Batman still has the same cape from the first movie that allows him to glide.

The Joker's arrival is foreshadowed by the first movie's ending. The same location is used for the police station rooftop, with the same bat signal we see in the first movie. When Rachel dies, the same music is played that is played during the Wayne's funeral in Batman Begins, and Alfred even comforts Bruce in a very similar way that he did when Bruce lost his parents. The batmobile crushing the police cars in the first film is mentioned by Reese, and he got the blueprints from the now defunct Archives area of W.E. where Lucius worked in BB. I could go on and on, but I think I've sufficiently proven that there's plenty linking the two films.
Quote:
I sort of miss Wayne Tower, as that would have been a nice one of those pieces of linkage. Especially considering Bruce fought so damn hard to save it in Begins,
Batman wasn't trying to save Wayne Tower because of its sentimental value to himself. He was trying to save it because it was the hub of the water supply in the city (as the annoying old man repeatedly points out to us during the final battle). If he didn't save Wayne Tower, Ra's al Ghul would succeed in poisoning all of Gotham, therefore effectively destroying the city.
Quote:
and it looks like he failed, cuz it ain't around a year later!
Funny, because I remember seeing the building not only in the film, but in the trailers as well. Is it still Wayne's? Who knows. It doesn't really matter to me, because I don't mind that they didn't focus half the movie around a building that had nothing to do with the movie's story.

Bat-Mite is offline   Reply With Quote