View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #24
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: The Avengers (2011) = the end of the X-men?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
I didn't imply that though. I simply said the movie didn't meet audience expectations, a point you acknowledge as well.
Yep. though I did say 'especially fan expectations' (as I think hardcore fans have more grievances with the film than the mainstream viewer).

Quote:
Right. Based on its opening weekend performance, it should have beaten those movies. Its Memorial Day weekend numbers alone are enough to place it amongst the top 20 highest grossing movies of 2006. Hence my pointthe movie opened incredibly strong but began to falter (more than usual?) for one reason reason or another. Perhaps due to bad word of mouth and mixed reviews, as you said?
Perhaps so. I just think these things are complex and often hard to rationalise. For instance, Ang's Hulk plunged 70 per cent on its second weekend yet I liked it, my newspaper reviewer loved it and I didn't hear bad things about it. Hard to say how much is public apathy, a failure to meet expectations, how much is bad reviews in the press. I wish we did know though, definitive reasons would be so much better.

It reminds me of when a bar or club is especially quiet or busy - my friends and I used to spend ages trying to work out patterns of human behaviour, to analyse why it was quiet or busy. Often there was no obvious reason! We would try to come up with an explanation but we never really knew and, in the end, we have given up such analyses!

The idea of audience expectations is itself interesting - the fans surely knew what to expect (given the script leaks etc)... and what were mainstream viewers expecting?