View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 06:57 AM   #107
Ultradude
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
well, i mean, certain movies should be influenced by the quality of other films...
Well, "influenced by the quality" is quite different than doing the same. Parkour is great and was long over due in films. But now it has been done many times already. Why keep repeating it? Why not do something new and fresh? Besides in my opinion the Phantom wouldn't benefit from Parkour as much as a hero like Daredevil for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
... the high standards Nolan brought to mainstream Hollywood.
This statement really bothers me and it has been going on for a while. Not all over the place but at least in geekdom. Actually in Batman related boards only. Nobody else seems to share such heightened and exaggerated opinion about Nolan.
It is as if high standards didn't exist in Hollywood or in superhero films before Nolan. Please.
Or is it because he filmed a couple of scenes in IMAX? Regardless, there were films that stuck close to the source material before Nolan. Even closer actually. There were well made films before Nolan. There were well acted films before Nolan. There were films that were more ground breaking before Nolan. There were films that were more technically advancing before Nolan.
Citizen Kane? Ring any bells? That was 1941 and it is still ground breaking.
You don't need to go any farther than Nolan's favorite film itself, which clearly has more than influenced the look, cinematography and standards of his Batman films and he has admitted so. I'm of course talking about Blade Runner. TDK can make a trillion dollars but Blade Runner it ain't and only time will tell if it will stand the test of time like Blade Runner or Citizen Kane or if it will be forgotten as soon as the next hot thing pops up. Just look at Titanic. It’s the highest grossing film of all time but it will never hold the status of Blade Runner, Citizen Kane and Gone with the Wind or any of the other greats.
A movie like Blade Runner made in 1982 still gives TDK a run for it's money in the technical side and beats it in execution, direction and even standards.
So let's please stop acting as if there were not high standards before Nolan.

Last edited by Ultradude; 01-22-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Ultradude is offline   Reply With Quote