View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #128
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Default Re: Anyone prefer Iron Man over Dark Knight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
Based on the style of nitpicking of TDK for not being 100% realistic, you could consider the Iron Man suit itself to be a plot hole. I'd say that's a pretty damn big plot hole considering the whole movie revolves around it. Hell, all the technology in his house is over the top and completely impractical.

And I'll give you one plot hole from Iron Man that has nothing to do with the technology. His captors must have been some of the damn dumbest captors ever to allow him to build something that clearly wasn't what they'd told him to build. They had the blueprints of what it was supposed to look like, yet they did a typical, poor job of monitoring what was going on...same kind of crap that's been going on in movies for decades. The bad guys (in this case terrorists) portrayed as completely helpless. Likewise, SWAT is portrayed as completely helpless in TDK. Yet another cliche.
Well I'll never mark points off of TDK, or any superhero movie for that matter, for not being realistic. That's a ridiculous expectation, IMO. I do expect them to be plausible though. I expect them to set up the rules by which the story will be told and then not deviate from it(even if it is convenient). Iron Man had less plausibility gaps than TDK, IMO. And they at least acknowledged the "stupid captor" thing with the scene where the terrorist leader comes in to inform Stark that he knows that they're up to something.