View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 AM   #57
The Lizard
Didn't eat Billy

Default Re: The History of Transforming Robots! (abridged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sto_vo_kor_2000 View Post
Now some of the "Jetfires" released by Hasbro were re-paints/repacks of existing back stock bought from Takatoku but many were newly produced figures made useing the mold.

Do you know who produced those figures for Hasbro?????

Takara did.
Really? I thought that only Bandai produced the G1 "Macross" Jetfire after the Takatoku/Matsushiro stock ran out. If Takara made any Jetfires in thier factory for Hasbro, did they put their manufacturers' stamp on it? I've seen a LOT of G1 Jetfires, and I've never seen one that says "Takara" on it, just the usual variations with Bandai and Matsushiro

Quote:
Not only that but Hasbro had Takara partisipate in the redesining of "Skyfire".
Yup, since the very existence of the "Skyfire" cartoon character was the result of a compromise with Takara to keep a competitor's (Takatoku/Bandai) toy design out of the cartoon.

Quote:
So it wouldnt shock me if one of those companies [who may have still owned some of the rights] tried to sell its product to Hasbro and Hasbro had Takara designers make those painting as a selling tool.
The thing is, Bandai still had the total rights to Daimos (and Dangard Ace, etc), and Bandai wasn't in trouble like Takatoku and needing to sell off designs. Even if we overlook the fact that those robot and alt-mode designs are weird mix-ups and deviations from the Transformers concepts of 1985, why would Takara be tasked with creating concept designs for Hasbro based on robot designs they didn't own? Remember that Skyfire looked nothing like the Jetfire toy, but those robot paintings still resemble their design sources.

I think this is one of those cases where Occam's Razor applies (ie: the simplest solution is the most likely). If the guy who owns that artwork hasn't attempted to get an answer from Takara to clear up the issue, there's probably a reason, and that reason might be that it's fan-art or bootleg art.

The Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote