View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #42
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Default Re: Where does most of TDK's critisism come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
2) It lacks the same feeling upon watching it again. The suspense doesn't stay with each viewing, and you miss the feeling you should have. It's like watching Psycho knowing what the deal is with Norman Bates, it's not as good as it would be if you hadn't seen it already.
I actually liked that the suspense is lessened every time you watch it. The first time, the tension got me so bad I went through the entire movie trying to nurse a bad foot cramp.

TDK has stopped being a movie where I see what's next. Actually, since I tend to spoil myself before every movie I watch, that's not the point of watching any movie for me. Seeing a movie tends to be an experience, seeing how a story is constructed. I particularly love doing this with Nolan films because he constructs them so thoughtfully, yet effortlessly. TDK is the first movie from Nolan and Co. that plays linearly, so I wasn't sure how they would handle it. Turns out it was fine, nay, arguably his best film.

Besides, BB and TDK are the only Nolan films that aren't so crushingly depressing that I can handle experiencing them multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
This poll is a perfect example of why TDK has fallen out of favour with a lot of people. Every option except for 'other' presents TDK-dislikers in a negative/uneducated light. The fact is many people here view TDK as the second coming. It is a very good comic book movie, but right now its praise has reached farcical levels.
Right now? You should have seen the interwebs a few days after TDK's release.

I read threads on other movie-related (but not superhero/comic book-focused) boards where they were positively gushing over TDK. They couldn't speak after the end credits, they were amazed, it met/exceeded the hype, they couldn't describe the experience but EVERYONE SHOULD GO WATCH IT RIGHT NOW.

The box office forum posters were pleased as punch that a "deserving" movie was breaking all of the records. People were cheering for it to beat Titanic over that opening weekend.

I think we're removed enough from the film's release that acknowledgment of its flaws are generally accepted. But fanatics on either side are still looked upon dubiously.