View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #21
Crook
Banned User

Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk View Post
I think it says more about the person watching the movie if they see those types of characters and immediately think of black people.
I think it's fairly obvious who the twins are referenced from. I haven't seen the movie, but from the descriptions alone it's hard to fathom who else you could think of. Not to say that it's right or wrong, but it is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
It's not racist to assume that there are some people out there who are ignorant, illiterate, and lacking in social graces. It's STEREOTYPING. They are not the same thing. There will be PLENTY of people who think this is funny, because it's a reflection of a subset of our culture.
Precisely. I used to grow up in the projects, and from time to time I still go back as I have some friends in those types of impoverished areas. I'm not black, but I'm not ashamed nor afraid to say that this specific stereotype exists for a reason. It's there, plain and simple. Is it the norm? Nope. But it's quite a number of the population. It's not racist in the least.

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote