View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #37
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Default Re: The New Ultimate DC RPG

GREEN ARROW

The elevator opens with a ding, and I stride confidently out onto the hardwood floor. There's an attractive receptionist working on her computer, but the room is otherwise vacant. Floor-to-ceiling size windows give an unparalleled view of the city. To my right, large doors lead into the conference room. I approach them fearlessly.

"Excuse me!" a soft voice announces. I freeze in place and turn on my heels. The receptionist - who looked so busy before - is now facing me. Her eyes are the deepest shade of blue I've ever seen. I smile, but she doesn't return the gesture. "You can't go in there. The board is meeting."

I laugh politely and make my way over to her desk. "I know, I know. I have such terrible timing." I know one thing: Oliver Queen has never met a girl he couldn't woo. I sit casually on the edge of her desk and explain, "I'm good friends with Connor Hawke, and I just got back in town. I figured he'd love it if I could drop by unannounced, and--"

I purposefully trail off.

Shaking my head, I say, "I'm sorry. I just lost my train of thought, there. Listen--" I lean over the desk and give her a quick rundown with my eyes. "Has anyone ever told you that you deserve something better than this lousy job?" At this, she chuckles. "I'm serious! With those eyes, you could be modeling."

"Thank you!" she replies sincerely. Her cheeks start to turn red, and she forces herself to break eye contact. While pretending to look through papers on her desk, she says, "No one's ever said that to me before."

"I don't believe that for one second." I pick up the small digital clock on her desk and frown. "Oh, shoot. I've gotta be somewhere soon," I explain disappointedly. "How long did you say this meeting was going to be again?"

"You know what? Go right in," she offers.

I hop down from the desk victoriously. "Thank you very much. I'll get your number on the way out, okay?" I flash her a quick wink before approaching the doors with renewed confidence.

Oh, yeah. I've still got it.

When I enter the boardroom, all backs are turned to me. Standing at the opposite side of the room, facing a flowchart, is Connor Hawke - my father's successor as CEO of Queen Industries. They were old business partners, even though they never saw eye-to-eye on anything. Hawke didn't take it too well when my father left the company to me and not him.

Hawke turns around and stops himself in midsentence. "Oliver Queen?" he announces. At this, every chair in the place shifts as people turn to face me. There are a few surprised gasps and some hurried whispers. "What a lovely surprise."

"Why should this be a surprise?" I ask. "Am I not supposed to know how my company is run?" All eyes turn back to Hawke in anticipation of his response.

"Listen, Ollie, I don't know if you heard while you were in prison, but we took the company public a while back," he explains with a well-faked apologetic tone. "It was a tough decision, but the board ruled that it was in the company's best interest. I'm sorry you had to find out this way, but...the company isn't yours, anymore."

"If memory serves, the majority of shares went to a private investor, correct?" Hawke looks around the boardroom in hopes of someone who can rebutt this fact. However, no one can. "Well, I recently spoke to said private investor, and those shares are now back in my possession, so I guess this is still my company."

Hawke is speechless. After a moment of contemplation, he announces, "Well, I think this has been a very productive meeting, everyone. Until next time." As the board members file out, Hawke paces at the end of the table. A few board members mutter something of a welcoming to me as they leave. I merely smile and wait for the room to empty.

"Hawke, I prefer to be open and honest," I begin once it's just him and I. I walk up to the table and lean against the back of one of the chairs. "I know that everything you've done since I went in was an attempt to take control of this company, so - for both our sakes - don't deny it." He says nothing. "But I'm back now, and I'm the majority shareholder, so we're going to be seeing a lot of each other. Let's try to keep it cordial."

I put my hands in my pockets and turn to leave. Hawke is still silent. I stop and turn.

"Oh, one more thing. I know it was you who framed me."

And, without saying any more, I leave Hawke alone in the boardroom to process his thoughts.