View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
TheFuture
Rising

Default Re: Has Batman hurt the genre where costumes are concerned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
See, I wonder about that now. I agree with you but, how much of that agreement is based on my own aesthetic preferences & how much of it is because over the last 20 years we've been conditioned to think certain outfits would look silly on film? I mean, nobody but nobody has more fiercely defended the leather X-suits or opposed the idea of bringing Batman's grey tights to the silver screen than I have. But then Spider-Man wore tights in his movies & looked GREAT. Had the same time & care that went into his suit been put into Batman's traditional garb, then maybe-just maybe they could've pulled it off. Is it entirely inconceivable that the movies could have just told us that the suit was made of some kind of special protective fabric and we would've swallowed that? We don't question it when they say it in the comics. Tell us an obviously form-fitting & otherwise ordinary looking suit is armored, we accept it. From time to time the outermost layer bts ripped up, revealing a kevlar mesh underneath & we're fine with it. And it HAS been pulled a time or two-the Flash series said that his suit was some unique material that could stand up to vibrations. We bought into the FF's "unstable molecules" bit. (I know the FF movies were wildly unpopular but for all the complaints I've heard, plausibility of the costumes was NOT among them.) Maybe, just maybe. I don't know. I'm only speculating. The only real evidence any of us has AGAINST the use of spandex really comes from things like the 60's Batman TV show & cheaply made fan-films.
I think you have to look at each superhero within his own context. Spider-Man is light in tone for the most part, so the tights fit the context.

In regards to the X-Men, I think have each character in their own specific costume would have looked horrificly bad and camp in live action. The "aesthetic" would have been all over the place. Plus, you have to think about what Singer was presenting us with; a bunch of outsiders/mutants who come together in unity. What better way to portray that unity than have them wear a kind of uniform which states "we are one"?

Now, in regards to Batman, the tights would have looked out of place badly in both Nolan's and Burton's universes. Imagine Batman's introduction in BB; would it have worked as well with tights? Would the theme of fear worked with tights? I'm not so sure.

TheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote