View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #19
Dr.Dude
Side-Kick

Default Re: Has Batman hurt the genre where costumes are concerned?

It's an interesting argument, here. I don't think that realism is really a factor when it comes to costumes, despite how often it's brought up - it's more about aesthetics and how serious the costumes will be taken on screen. I mean, even the most realistic comic book movie costumes usually wouldn't function too well in real life.

For instance, I really doubt that Tim Burton had realism in mind when he was telling the designers what he wanted in his version of the bat suit. My feeling is that Burton wanted to make Batman look more powerful, by representing him in an armored suit instead of a spandex one. It also has a lot to do with Burton's view of the character - I mean, there's a reason that Michael Keaton wasn't told to bulk up the way that Christian Bale or Tobey Maguire were told to. I think Burton wanted his Batman to be a less a self-made, muscular man and more of a distant, quiet outsider, a smaller man, who used gears and tools to make himself into a creature of the night. Not necessarily a comics accurate depiction, which is why I prefer Nolan's interpretation by far...but I think that it was the reasoning behind the 1989 rubber suit.

I think the movie that made comic fans and studios so hung up on the realism idea was, actually, X-Men back in 2000. Changed costumes may have started with Batman but it wasn't until 2000 that the term "realism" started becoming so accepted as a reason for changing things around, dulling them down, using materials like leather and so on.

Personally, I like the leather X-Men costumes quite a bit but I don't think they're particularly more realistic than the comics ones.

Last edited by Dr.Dude; 02-24-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Dr.Dude is offline   Reply With Quote