View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #68
Drz
Real Hero

Default Re: Neal Adam's Batman Odyssey

Neal Adams talks Batman Odyssey!

Quote:
"There are other questions we have to deal with as well. For example, from the beginning Batman put people in jail. Now, somehow Batman's putting people and not of his own choice into Arkham Asylum. 'I've got this criminal who's robbed a bank, Commissioner. He should go to jail.' The Commissioner says, 'I think we're going to put him in Arkham.' Why? Because that's what we do in Gotham: put criminals in Arkham Asylum and almost give them a ticket to get out again so we can have the next story...it's a kind of fantasy world Batman's living in. It doesn't seem like he has to deal with it. It's a more deadly world. How does Batman deal with that more deadly world when his code is so inflexible in that he won't kill anybody or maim anybody? He's not a goody two-shoes, but his whole job is to frighten criminals who are a cowardly lot, and scare the hell out of them. But now these guys themselves are so scary and dangerous that the question is: How does Batman up the game? How does he deal with it on a new level?
"And it occurred to me, if you start throwing this stuff at Batman hard enough and enough of it sticks, he's going to have to reconsider his role. And that's what this story's about. In reconsidering his role, he ought to go someplace. Where does he go? To a bunch of warehouses? To Metropolis? To Paradise Island? After a while, it starts to get silly. So is there a place where for Batman to go to relearn and rediscover himself? That's also what the story is about. It's the story of a place that he can be driven to where the lessons can be learned. And that place is a surprise. And are there people along the way who he's met like, say, Deadman who know things about him we don't know? Is there a history behind Batman that he doesn't even know? Are there controlling devices that have allowed him to think...a Joker says it best when he says, 'Have you ever noticed you're surrounded by a bunch of clowns? Are there clowns in Metropolis? Doesn't that strike you as odd, Batman?'"