Re: What was wrong with the current trilogy?
My complaints are as follow:
1. Singer doesn't seem to know how to do the female characters well. Jean Grey was the most realized character, but that had mainly to do with the Logan/Scott/Jean triangle. I liked Mystique as well, but her lizard look was unnecessary. Rogue should have been Shadowcat or Jubilee-there was no need to use her at all other than they need her power set to power that machine. You have two great characters who were basically neutered, though Storm became a bit more important in 2 and 3, but not being African??? I found that rather insulting. And Rogue squeeling in the X jet towards the end of 2? Please tell me I was not the only one who found that one of the most cringeworthy scenes in the series! Though I have to say one of the only good things in X3 was Shadowcat.
2. Agreed about Cyclops
3. Agreed about this not having that "team" feeling as it should have
4. I don't mind Wolverine being such a central character in the first film. We need a character to introduce us to the X world, and I felt Wolverine was a good choice. But he should have not been such a central character in the following films.
5. They never should have put the Gifted and Phoenix storylines together-they have nothing to do with each other and it made for a mess onscreen. (Which is a shame. Both are really good and bring up really good topics/themes)
6. Either lengthen the running time of the film so that characters have time to breathe, or limit the number of characters. By the middle of X2 it became a game of "spot the mutant!"