View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #23
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: Who was the best robin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin91939 View Post
Carrie Kelly, she was only Robin for one story--hardly anything to compare her to the big three who are legends in the comic book world for years.
That legendary story Caroline Keene Kelley is Robin in is generally ranked by many as either the greatest or the second greatest Batman story in the comic book world, many rank it second only to Batman: Year One. Bruce Timm likes Carrie Kelley so much that he asked Frank Miller's permission to homage Dark Knight Returns in the episode "Legends of the Dark Knight" of the animated Batman series for television in 1998.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

According to the DVD commentary for the episode when Bruce Timm asked for permission Frank Miller said something along the lines of "Go ahead, I'm in good hands." On the commentary of "Legends of the Dark Knight" and in the Modern Marvels book Bruce Timm said Frank Miller's response was that he called back three times to Bruce Timm, leaving three messages, each were raving about that episode, and each were longer than the previous. Saying things like "That was great!", "Watched it again, you did a good job!" and "Lynn saw it; she went 'Hey, that's Carrie Kelley!'"
I find Carrie Kelley more entertaining and endearing than any of the Boy Wonder's in their stories. I don't like the event story arcs A Lonely Place of Dying featuring Dick Grayson trying to get Batman to accept Tim Drake as his new Robin and Batman is very reluctant, Knightfall featuring Batman getting his back broken, Contagion featuring a disease, Legacy featuring the return of the disease, Cataclysm featuring an earthquake destroying Gotham City and all of it's Gothic expressionistic architecture that gave Gotham City such character and atmosphere, Bruce Wayne Fugitive featuring Bruce charged with the murder of Vesper Fairchild (a character I liked), War Games featuring the torture of Stephanie Brown (ugh), As the Crow Flies featuring a Kingpin-wannabe Penguin, Hush featuring a money-loving scumbag childhood friend of Bruce's seeking revenge against Bruce for his jealousy of Bruce inheriting his dead parents money and falling to kill his own parents so he could inherit their money, Face the Face featuring the killing of the KGBeast, Magpie and the Ventriloquist (all villains I liked), R.I.P. featuring Batman foolishly getting coned by Jezebel Jet and then drugged and makes himself a costume out of red, yellow, and purple and takes advice from Bat-Mite, and Battle For the Cowl featuring a bunch of people fighting over who gets to play Batman. I don't like any of those event story arcs. My favorite Tim Drake Robin stories are Batman #485 (1992) "Faces of Death" written by Doug Moench featuring Tim Drake in control as Batman is undercover as one of Black Masks gang members and Tim is keeping in contact with both Gordon at Gotham Police Headquarters and Bruce through Bruce's mini-transmitter, and keeping watch of the stakeout as Bruce sleeps and Tim keeps track of time and Tim wakes Bruce up when it's time and Tim rescues Lucius Fox. My other favorite Tim Drake Robin story is Batman #543 (1997) "Faceless Part II Postmarked: Murder" written by Doug Moench featuring Tim doing detective work in the Batcave helping Bruce figure out who the serial killer is, comes to Bruce's rescue and helps Bruce defeat the serial killer Joseph Zedno. My favorite Dick Grayson Robin stories are the originals by creators Bill Finger and Bob Kane which are in the Batman: Chronicles volumes, especially Detective Comics #41 "Master Murderer" (1940) written by Bill Finger featuring Dick enrolled in a private school called Blakes School for Boy to solve a murder mystery after a young boy was found murdered on the grounds. My favorite Jason Todd Robin story is Batman: The Cult. For me the best Robin is Caroline Keene Kelley in The Dark Knight Returns. She's spunky, cleaver, funny. She's not a Batman junior at all, she has a completely different personality. She surprises him and earns his respect.

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Release date currently unknown.

FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters now.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 06-08-2010 at 12:52 AM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote