View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #32
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: Who was the best robin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin91939 View Post
Lol.

You are confusing the impact of the character of Carrie Kelley and the impact of the graphic novel itself.
Nice try at a come back but I do show impact and influence of Carrie Kelley in my post as well as explaining the impact and influence of everything else from Dark Knight Returns.

Quote:
In that book, it could have been any character as Robin, and the story itself would have been just as seminal. She was nothing "genius" or amazing. Just a sassy teenage girl who wanted to be Robin.
If it were Jason Todd in that story like all the other Batman comics at the time or some other boy as just another Dick Grayson replacement, another carbon-copy of Dick Grayson's Robin, as Jason Todd was at the time, then it definitely wouldn't have been as seminal at all. It's the fact that it's a girl Robin with her own personality and style of speech and not a Batman junior at all, not a carbon-copy of Dick Grayson, that helped make Dark Knight Returns so groundbreaking, original and influential. She's a very different concept for Robin than what anyone was use to. Her parents were not killed, she isn't a ward of Bruce Wayne's or adopted, she isn't a junior Batman. She's not a Batman-wannabe. Carrie has her own personality, her own life, she is very modern, she is very different than Dick, Jason, Tim, Damian. She's refreshingly different. The most radical departure from the norm, the female Robin, works because she's a spin on the classic formula.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but one story being reprinted over and over does not out weigh the characters of Dick and Tim being in constant publication in different, new stories for decades.
The impact and influence of Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, which features Carrie Kelley, out weighs hundreds of stories featuring Tim and Dick. Tim and Dick appearing in more stories does not make them better characters. It makes them overexposed and milked to death.

Quote:
The Dark Knight Returns is not in "constant publication". It is reprinted every 5 or so years.
It's in constant, continuous publication. It's never gone out of print, because it continues to be a big seller. They are still reprinting it. They've even done a huge sized Absolute Edition of that story featuring Carrie as Robin. They've never done that for any of the hundreds of stories featuring Tim.

Quote:
Tim Drake's Robin was in constant publication, with multiple appearances each month for more than 15 years. Dick Grayson, even longer. Their impact is FAR greater. Dick Grayson was the REASON Carrie Kelley even existed in the first place. He is the "holy grail" of side kicks...the first, the original. And as a character, Tim has been much more fleshed out than Carrie Kelley was. But again, that is to be expected...he's been around for almost 20 years and in 100's of stories.
She's the most influential Robin since Dick Grayson started the side-kick craze in 1940. Tim Drake has a lot more stories written about him than Carrie Kelley, surely, and that doesn't make him a better character. As a character Carrie Kelley entertains me, Tim Drake on the other hand is the most boring character. He's been too fleshed out and overexposed to the nth degree and been milked to death.

Quote:
(also, is there really a need to post all these pictures of her with each post?)

-R
Is there really a need for you to end each post with an "-R" and have an avatar with a bunch of pictures of Tim Drake and "Master Tim" accompanying your every post? No, you have that because he's obviously your favorite Robin and you just like to post an "-R" on every post. I've posted a bunch of pictures of Carrie Kelley on this thread because she's my favorite Robin and the best Robin to me. It all comes down to preference.

B i R D M A N
In theaters now.

Better Call Saul
On AMC in February.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 06-07-2010 at 07:09 AM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote