View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #24
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Default Re: <<Ask/Answer Thread>>Explanations to common Superman "complaint/plot holes" in mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
A lot of times people will ask things like:
  • "Why can't they figure out Clark/Supes are the same?"
  • "How come his suit doesn't get damaged from bullet holes/fires?"
  • "Jor-el was a genious but he built a ship only large enough for a baby? WTF??"
Etc...

Come up with your own questions and/or answer others such as mine.

I actually have my own attempts at explaining these btw.
  • Jor-el wanted him to live as a human and also understand life as a Kryptonian. So when he wears the \S/ crest (Supes suit) its properties make him only recognizable as a Kryptonian being. Only those that know him completely (human form Clark, Superman, and Kal-el) will be able to see him as a single entity. E.g. His earth parents. That is why only Lois can figure it out later, once she falls in love with the full person and not just Superman.
  • The suit is not damaged... I like the L&C explanation. It is tight fit to his body, the material is only protected when HE is wearing it. If the suit was not on Superman, it could be damaged however.
  • I think you scrap Jor-el building it big enough for a baby only. I would have him build it big enough for all of them. However Jor-el is taken out, Lara goes after him, and initiates launch sequence before Krypton blows. Jor-el could still give him the means to create FOS in case he did not survive the trip to Earth. He and his wife just don't get the chance to go with him and choose to save him.
<<Ask/Answer Thread>>Explanations to common Superman "complaint/plot holes" in movie
  • In regards to Superman's disguise, I've always felt the Donner-Reeve approach was the best. I don't mean that Clark needs to be a fumbling nerd, but that you have to make the two personalities so different that one would never think they could be the same person. You mix that in with subtle change to the way he looks and it makes it easier. I thought Singer-Routh got the right balance of all the incarnations so far. But I'm sure there's probably still a a better way to do it. Then again this Superman, and the fact he doesn't wear a mask is always going to have to force you to suspend your disbelief some.
  • Either the "body aura" or the fact his suit is Kryptonian works for me. I think they are both good explainations. It would make sense that the fact Krypton's molecular structure is different would make the materials on the planent more invuneralable on Earth.
  • I've always felt the best way the ship to be handled with baby Kal-El is the same way sleep chambers work in James Cameron's Aliens.

Merry Christmas!!!
Twitter: Follow @Superark

Superark is offline   Reply With Quote