View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 12:39 AM   #56
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: Who was the best robin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin91939 View Post
In Fact The Face Bruce talks about how he wasn't able to formally adopt Dick or Jason and was only able to make them his ward...but now with the laws the way they are, he couldn't make Tim his ward and had to adopt him to give him the protection that he was able to give Dick and Jason.

Wouldn't this, being more recent, had written that out of continuity?
First of all, it's called Face the Face, not Fact the Face, and Bruce didn't say he wasn't able to formally adopt Dick or Jason and was only able to make them his ward. Bruce didn't even mention Jason because Jason was never his ward. Bruce stated the fact that Dick was his ward, which he was for many years, he hadn't adopted Dick as a son until Batman: Gotham Knights #17 (2001).

In Batman: Gotham Knights #21 (2001) Bruce and Dick file the papers and Dick Grayson's adoption by Bruce Wayne as his son becomes legal, and Dick Grayson didn't start calling himself "Dick Wayne" after that. In Batman #654 (2006), the Face the Face story arc, Bruce said "Dick was my ward. Legally. It gave him security. I think you should have that, too. However, the laws have changed, I can't adopt you as my ward. To have the security I feel you deserve, I'd have to adopt you as my son."

Quote:
And really you're going to compare Tim Drake's 12 episodes (of the total 24) as a lead character, the whole Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker film (where the story kinda needs him) and a few Superman Animated Series episodes to Carrie Kelly's one appearance as an imaginary character in a story told by a girl names Carrie Kelly?

That is just like comparing Tim's hundreds of appearances in the comics to Carrie's one appearance as Robin.
I'm aware of how overexposed Tim has been in the comics. But in animation Tim Drake was in one episode of Superman: The Animated Series called "Knight Time" in 1998, not a few episodes. And the Tim Drake in the Batman Beyond film is completely unrecognizable. Of course I've compared them. They both appeared on the same Batman animated series. They are both the third Robin's of their universes, Carrie Kelley's the third Robin of the DKU after Dick and Jason and Tim Drake's the third Robin of the DCU after Dick and Jason.

Quote:
This is a character who was later named Catgirl and taken out of the Robin role.
In Dark Knight Strikes Again Carrie Kelley is sixteen years old, like many sixteen year olds she thinks of herself as being an adult and want's to appear older than she is.

And she obviously feels she's outgrown the Robin identity which she's had since she was thirteen and creates a new persona, Catgirl, she dresses in a variety of cat-themed outfits, however, she still is Robin to Batman, she is still Batman's side-kick and he even still calls her Robin.

Tim Drake, my guess is that he is around sixteen or seventeen, is a character who was named the third Red Robin, again after Dick (the Kingdom Come Earth's Dick) and Jason, and was taken out of the Robin side-kick role and is replaced by ten year old Damian, which Tim is very upset about because he apparently still wants to be Robin the Boy Wonder.

Quote:
Also, how is Carrie going to be a "Batman" wannabe? She can't be BatMAN.

-R
Carrie isn't going to be a Batman-wannabe, and that's why I like her so much. She isn't a junior Batman at all. She's the complete opposite of Batman. She's not like Bruce Wayne, or Dick Grayson, or the others. Her parents are not dead, she isn't a ward of Bruce Wayne's or adopted. She's very different than Bruce, Dick, Jason, Tim, Damian. She's her own character, she has a completely different personality, her own style. She's spunky, cheerful, cleaver, funny. She has a sense of wonder. She's not dark and grim. She has no angst, she's not jaded. She has security. The enthusiasm of a young girl as a cheerful, spunky, resourceful helper counterbalances the dark grim nature of Batman perfectly, providing the human touchstone that prevents his dark inner demons from swallowing him whole. She's my favorite Robin without a doubt. She's the best Robin to me.

Better Call Saul
On AMC February 8th.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 06-13-2010 at 06:16 AM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote