View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #16
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Default Re: A New Director After Nolan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
This is exactly what I want to see. The serious characterization of Nolan with a dark comic book aesthetic. Thus my vote goes to Guillermo Del Toro or Zack Snyder with a good co-writer. Alfonso Cuaron would also probably be a nice choice.
The thing about Cauron or Del Toro is that they're already well-established...so they might not be as inclined to take on what could easily be 7+ years of making Batman movies unless that was some life-long ambition for them or what have you. When you look at most of the big multi-movie franchises over the years, most of them were the 'big break' for their respective directors....at least as far as big-time Hollywood.

That's why you wouldn't really see...or even want...say, a Spielberg or Cameron of today doing Superman or the like, i.e. anything that they didn't have full creative ownership of from concept to delivery. You'd want the 'next' Cameron of the Terminator/Aliens days, or the next Peter Jackson of the LOTR days, or Singer/X-men, or Nolan/BB, Donner/STM, and so on....not those directors of 'now'. There's something about an up-and-coming filmmaker who's making his presence known with projects like these that I feel translates directly into their quality, as well as trying to make them as successful as possible to get in good with major studios.

So in that respect...the ideal next Batman director may very well be someone that we haven't heard of yet.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote