View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: Batman 1966 appreciation thread

It is not at all crazy or stupid to love this show, Trav. It's a cult classic. It is what it is, and doesn't pretend to be anything else, or try to be anything else, other than a high camp and extremely fun show. That's why it works.

I think this show was a HUGE contributor to making Batman the icon he is. This show did for The Riddler, what BTAS did for Mr Freeze and Harley Quinn. I think it's undeniable that without Frank Gorshin's wonderful performance as The Riddler, he wouldn't be the major Batman villain he is today, because prior to the 60's show, the Riddler had about one appearance in the comics, and that was waaaaaaay back in the 40's.

Of course it launched Batman's major enemies into the public eye, and made then icons, too. The Joker, The Penguin, Catwoman, they were all awesome.

Burgess Meredith as The Penguin being my personal favorite for several reasons. I think he truly personified the Penguin with the waddle, the bird like squawks, always puffing on the cigarette holder, and he had those fantastic trick umbrellas, which were really impressive for those days.
According to Adam West's autobiography, Burgess came up with the Penguin's bird like squawks to initially cover up the coughing sounds he made when smoking the cigarette holder, because Burgess wasn't a smoker in real life, and the smoke irritated his throat. The squawks were so iconic and loved that they became a trademark trait for the character. Also according to West, Burgess' Penguin was the most popular villain on the show. So much so that they always had a script ready for him should he happen to come into town.

He even made an appearance on The Monkees TV show:

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote