View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #29
TheShah
Qwixotic Co-Creator

Default Re: A New Director After Nolan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
should be a new director with a completely different take on the character. They've already done a great origin story, so they could get right into the meat of things. Personally i'd like a more fantastical director like guillermo del toro (if he wasnt already so busy) or alfonso curaron. I think its time to bring the fantasy elements back to cinema batman. Clayface, Poison Ivy, Mr Freeze, Lazurus Pit Ra's Al Ghul, a scarier scarecrow, mat hatter etc. This in turn wouldnt tread on the ground the nolan films stood on, they would be in a completely different park.
No.
We've already seen how those elemnts would play out in a Batman movie, and it's not good.

Don't get me wrong, I love Del Toro and Curaron (sp?) but the success of Nolan's Batman films have been the fact that it's not escapist or fantastical cinema.
The fact that the new Batman movies don't follow a genre despite being a 'comic book movie' is what separates them from any other genre movie.
Bringing in a director known for anything other than his dramatic works would tarnish that.

TheShah is offline   Reply With Quote