View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #98
WolverineXtreme
Newbie First Class

Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
And on the subject of Christopher Reeve...he was also exceptionally good-looking (omg, those eyes ), and probably would have been complained about had the internet existed in the 1970s when he was cast, since he was an unknown theater actor and was reportedly quite scrawny when he auditioned for the role (even he referred to himself as a "skinny WASP" at the time).

Christopher Reeve did two great Superman movies and two awful Superman movies - and he did have some creative control over Superman IV, which was easily the worst of the series, despite being a classically trained actor.

And did I mention he was really good looking?

Good-looking actors being cast in major superhero roles didn't start because Bryan Singer happens to be gay.
yeah....I really don't see how Singer's sexuality has anything to do with his casting choices......or the quality of his films.

And for the record, my complaints about Jackman's portrayal have nothing to do with Jackman himself ( other than maybe becoming a bit too "complacent" in how he portrayed Wolverine in X3 and Origins. )

Jackman is not the one directing or writing the movies. The person I blame is.......Singer.

Singer is the one who chose to cast a tall actor ( be it Dougray Scott or Jackman ) to play Wolverine.

As a comparison, I like to bring up Watchmen. The character Rorschach is short in the original graphic novel ( he's like 5'6" or 5'7" I believe ). And his height is part of his character. He wears lifts as Rorschach and when the cops capture him and discover that, they make fun of him.

Well, when the director cast the movie Rorschach, who did he cast to play the character? A guy who his > 6'0"? No, he cast Jackie Earle Haley who is like 5'5" or 5'6". IOW....a short actor to play a short character.

And the general consensus seems to be that Jackie owned the role of Rorschach. He proved that you don't have to be typical tall and handsome to play a leading male role ( or a guy who kicks ass ).

THAT is what Wolverine should have been when X1 came out. The actor playing him should have demonstrated that you don't have to be tall to play the leading role or to be a kick ass character. That actor should have become the "face" of Wolverine ( and of the X-men movies ) just like Jackman did ( for better or for worse ).

And the actor doesn't have to be exactly 5'3" either. I say anything up to 5'9" would be acceptable, provided you cast taller male actors to play the other roles.

I mean, look at some 5'6" UFC fighters like Sean Sherk or Tyson Griffin. Those guys are not tall, but they're built like a ******* beast ( especially Sherk in the pics I've seen of him ). An actor of that height, with that build, would have been more appropriate for Wolverine than Jackman.

but.....alas....none of this came to pass. And that's because the director, Singer, chose to ignore that aspect of the character........

That's Singer's fault....not Jackman's.....

WolverineXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote