View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #28
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Default Re: New series from J.J Abrams and Joanthan Nolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I never said Nolan wasn't also to blame. But the bad writing came from Goyer. That much was clear when reading the script. It was Nolan's fault for keeping so much of it, but that doesn't mean Goyer is any less a terrible writer for coming up with it in the first place. I've just never seen ANYTHING that Goyer himself wrote that was any good. Period. In fact, I pretty much find most of it to be godawful. I'm a do-the-math kind of girl - when a guy like Goyer makes a career worth of crap, then suddenly finds his name attached to a couple of gems, and those gems just happen to be creative collaborations with guys who've alternatively proven to be gem-factories, then yeah, I draw what is in my mind the only logical conclusion and assign credit where I believe it belongs: to the other guys. Because based on their prior work, Goyer is obviously the weak link, imo. Not to mention he and Nolan have very different writing styles, so it's pretty easy to tell whose writing we're witnessing. And just like you hate when people blame BB's flaws on Goyer, I hate it when he gets credited for TDK's success. So we're kind of on opposite sides of the same coin, lol. And I'm not gonna be flipping sides any time soon - I've seen more of Goyer's work than I ever cared to (or cared to admit), and I feel like I have more than enough evidence to support my case.

Honestly, he is quite possibly my very least-favorite "major" writer in all of Hollywood. He's one of the few Hollywood writers that I genuinely believe I could write better than. And I would never presume to call myself a writer. Not by a long shot. That's just how terrible I find his writing to be.

But this thread is supposed to be a celebration. Nolan and Abrams! What's not to love? And on the network discussion, let's not forget that Abrams also has a burgeoning relationship with NBC now (with the Undercovers show), so I think they are also a strong possibility. And I don't think I even need to start describing how much they need a hit, lol.
Fair enough. It's just the Goyer provided the basis of the BB script where Nolan added to. The themes, the story, it was still all there. I give them both credit. Not just to Nolan. Because without Goyer, I'm sure they would have been fine, but I think Goyer does deserve to get credit with BB, even if you dislike him. If Nolan and Goyer share the credit for its mistakes, then they share the same credit for how good it is. It wasn't one or the other, it was both of them for everything. Yes, and even the great parts. Collaboration between the two.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher. To break barriers... to reach for the stars... to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we're still pioneers... that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us. That our destiny lies above us."