View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #60
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick

Default Re: What was wrong with the current trilogy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmenfilesfan05 View Post
But in both of those cases, the title character is ONE character. They get a whole film to flesh themselves out. With the X-Men, they don't have that luxury. So they have to create a new history for the beloved characters, one that allows them to be on the screen together.

Hats off to you for making a very good point! An ensemble cast film has far more hurdles to jump than one focusing on a single character.

Maybe we should focus on format rather than story? Could the X Men be adapted to the big screen as well a single superhero?

Ensemble films (from adapted source material) tend to work when 1) they have long running times and 2) have the opportunity to have several films (such as a trilogy).The Lords of the Rings is a good example of this. Otherwise the characters have no room to breathe and grow and it tends to focus on only one or two characters (such as the X films). In fact, I can't think of any comic book movie based on a team that was very good (Fantastic Four, anyone?) Joss Whedon will have his work cut out for him in the Avengers. Lukily he will have a series of films focusing on the characters leading up to his film.

I prefer ensemble cast based storytelling in serialized format, such as television. The various X Men cartoons did a good job, I thought, far better than the films (imho) We have time to get to know the characters, the world they live in, and watch them develop over time so that we can develop a relationship with them, even if they differ from the original version. I would much rather see the X Men on live action tv than another film, but that ain't gonna happen.

EvilClareToo is offline   Reply With Quote