View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #60
KaptainKrypton
Side-Kick

Default Re: How should Superman fight?

This is actually an extremely interesting question. I don't want Superman to fight like a completely trained martial artist. I would like to see something creative and swiftly brutal that is unique like the Keysi Fighting Method scenes were for Nolan's Batfilms. The method of combat for superhumans is going to be different from two regular dudes just duking it out. Chiefly, this is due to the weapons at their disposal. I'd like to see some of the ferocity seen in the second Terminator film when the Terminators first lock horns in the mall. Jockeying for position mixed with tests of strength and a creative use of environment with some raw combat displayed that really demonstrates why these guys are bad mothers and why these guys are physically in another league from guys like Spider-Man and Batman.

There was a faint glimmer of what I mean in Superman IV during the lunar battle. Superman threw a muay-thai knee strike from the plum that didn't seem forced, but rather a natural defense against a guy who really needed a manicure.

It doesn't need to be overly stylized like Watchmen or Matrix or whatever. Rather, I'd like something visceral like in the Bourne films. Without blatant overkill, I'd love to see things sped up at points to demonstrate what the look of a true superhuman battle displays at full speed (think of The Flash doing work on a heavy bag, except that it hits back). I mean, think about it. If you have two superhumans fighting at full blast while trading shots, it's going to sound like the loudest machine war you've EVER imagined.

Also, the sound needs to be amped up to display the intense volume of the hits. If the hits sound anything near a realistic human fight, they get an F-grade from me. I want my comic book onomatopoeia really displayed for once. It's why I enjoy the fights in Superman II to this very day. Every punch sounded ten times harder than anything in a real fight. I don't want another Matrix replay. I want the best comic-book battles we've never seen on screen before.

I also agree with one of the earlier posters about staying away from the "one-punch" nonsense. I want to see those big hits, for sure. On the other hand, I'd like to see what it's like when two godlike bulls rumble in the proverbial China shop.

Ross Webster - President & CEO of Webscoe Industries
KaptainKrypton is offline   Reply With Quote