View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #108
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Default Re: Scores To Marvel Films: Which do you like the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey 2007 View Post
I voted for X2 for obvious reasons. I think tis the most well rounded and goosebump inducing score of them all. Props to X3 and Origins though. Ive looped those scores multiple times.
Ottman's X2 score was great and it really fitted to what Singer was going for in that film at least. But I think Powell's X3 easily surpasses it. "Bathroom Titles" Both cd and film version. "Angel's Cure" ,"Dark Phoenix's Tragedy", "Farewell To X", "The Funeral", "St Lupus Day", "Shock and No Oars", The heck with it the whole score is INCREDIBLE.

Quote:
If Daredevil wasn't bogged down with all the pop songs, Im sure more people would have payed attention. To be honest its quite moving. Quite possibly the most fitting theme/score for a marvel superhero movie, with the drums and slight techno riffs at times, very menacing and moody.
I was disappointed in this score at the time it was released, b/c I thought Revell was going to rival his "The Crow" score but didn't. As years went by and scores like BB, TDK, and IM came along. I've had a better appreciation for this score. It's not the best, but it's decent. I agree it does capture some aspects of the character.

Quote:
The Punisher score is operatic and really surprised me at first. Over the years its grown on me and Ive come to love it.
This score is so underrated. Very Morricone-esque. I remember being very impressed with this in the movie and couldn't wait for a score release album. That theme really fits the character. Very memorable. It captures the tragedy, heroism, militarism, and darkness of the character with that theme, imo.

Quote:
Iron Man 2 whips on IM1 so bad in my opinion. Its just feels so much more "iron man" then 1 did. 2 had a harder rock vibe goin. But I enjoyed 2 more on a whole anyways.
I'm not a fan of both IM scores. Probably b/c I'm not a fan of Debney and Djawadi. Both scores didn't do anything for me. So I never ( and will never) bother buying the score albums. Hopefully the new film will get an A-list composers who knows his way around an orchestra and synthesisers. Especially now that Favreau is gone.

Quote:
Fantastic four has got the perfect score. Up there with Daredevil as a PERFECT fit. You listen to Ottmans F4 score and immediately think the 60's animated show (for those of you who watched it) theres such a great fantasy element about it that just WORKS. Too bad the movies sucked donkey balls.
I find the FF scores to be very annoying. The first score made the first film even more cheesy, imo. Plus he's ripping off Elfman's Spider-man in a lot of cues. The second score while better than the first score. I didn't care for. I guess the movie it's attached to will do that to you.

Quote:
Hulk I dont care for to begin with as a character, so ehhh... I cant even remember one bit of TIH score. Elfmans Hulk score ill remember but, Didnt think it was all that great though.
I find Elfman's Hulk score to be very underrated and unique from a lot of his CBM scores. Really dense and a lot of fun. It probably isn't everyone's taste. It's a thinking man's comic book score. I agree about TIH. Not only it wasn't memorable, but it also generic, imo.

Quote:
Spider-Man.. Good stuff, at least it kept its continuity and overall feel. It should have been Batman/Superman Memorable though, and it just isnt. Maybe the new flick will change that?
I'm one of those who believe Spider-man doesn't need a march like Batman and Supes. Spider-man is not like Batman and Superman. I like that Spider-man has a motif rather than a march. Plus you can do a lot more with the motif texturally. Elfman's Spider-man scores are dense scores. He really plays with the variations of the motif to the point where you're not sure what's the main theme. Which kind of explains the complexity of the character. I'm interested what the reboot approach will be as long as it ain't some MV/RC, Daft Punk, Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross and the like scoring it. But someone who knows how use an orchestra at their advantage.

Quote:
X-men reign supreme. The films have variety, and each of them is STRONG. The weakest link Id say would be X1 and that is still better than 75% of the other marvel movies.
The X-men score wasn't the way Kamen originally wanted it to be. I heard that the producer Laura Shuler-Donner stop the orchestra before
playing. So Kamen could rewrite the score to what she and TPTB wanted. At least that's what I heard from some film score experts. Too bad we'll never really know what Kamen would've done.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote