View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #34
narrows101
Side-Kick

Default Re: News & Discussion Thread

Hugh Jackman interview:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/...a-great-movie/

Hugh Jackman to Wolverine fans: ĎThe planets are finally aligned to make a great movieí

Feb. 01, 2011 | 6:38 a.m.
Hugh Jackman got on the phone Monday to talk to our Geoff Boucher about his upcoming projects. Hereís what he had to say about his return to the metal-clawed mutant persona that has been the signature role of his Hollywood career.

Geoff Boucher: I remember coming by your office back in the summer of 2009, and you were already talking about your hopes of making a movie out of Marvelís 1982 ĒWolverineĒ miniseries, the classic by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller. And now youíre doing just that ó and with director Darren Aronofsky, of all people. You must be thrilled.

Hugh Jackman: Iím really, really pumped about it. I feel like all the planets are finally aligned to make a great movie. We finally have the character and with this mythology ó ever since [the 2000 Bryan Singer film] ďX-Men,Ē when I was kind of hanging around and reading all these comics, because I was cast before I ever read any X-Men comics, so I was trying to get my hands on everything. I remember saying to [producer] Lauren Shuler Donner, ďLauren, I donít know about you, but Iíve seen this Japanese story, and I think itís so good. Itís just genius, itís brilliant.Ē And we kind of always talked about it from there on. I sort of even wanted to do that in the third X-Men movie at first, but we thought, no, we really need to establish who he is at first, and we did that [with "X-Men Origins: Wolverine"], and now this is sort of the cherry on top, to finally do it and have Darren Aronofsky direct it. I love his gung-ho attitude toward it and great vision. Straight off, itís not a sequel, itís a stand-alone, and I think weíre going to make one that people will describe as the best of the bunch.

GB: Well, it better be, right? I mean with that reveredsource material and the director of ďBlack SwanĒ and ďThe WrestlerĒ ó not to mention a script by Christopher McQuarrie, who wrote ďThe Usual SuspectsĒ Ė the expectations are going to be pretty high for this one

HJ: Right, absolutely, and Chris McQuarrie has done a script that is just phenomenal. I read a story once that said that he wrote ďThe Usual SuspectsĒ in 15 days, and with this one he said to me, ďI just knew what I wanted, and it came out real easy.Ē And heís done an unbelievable job with it, and with Darren itís just really exciting. Iím as excited as anybody to see what we come up with. I know weíre going to be met with huge expectations. The expectations will be high, but heís one of the great filmmakers out there. I worked with him before [on "The Fountain"], and I knew as soon as I met him that he should be doing movies like this. Heís been looking a long time, and Iíve asked him to do other ones, and this time it worked out. Iím beyond thrilled.

GB: Are you going to have to go back to that intense diet, eating whole chickens so you can get that muscle mass back up?

HJ: Iím on it right now, mate, already doing it. Itís 6,000 calories a day, itís rough.

GB: How much you weighing?

HJ: Right now, Iím at 210.

GB: Wow, so youíre going to be bigger this time? Last time, you looked about, what, 190?

HJ: Yeah, right, I was 190, something like that. I donít know how much I want to give away about it, but Darren said with the last one, ĎHey you looked great, but youíre so tall that in those long shots you looked kind of like Clint Eastwood, and thatís not Wolverine.Ē He said that Wolverine, in the comics, is powerful, stocky, you know, heís short and thick. So he said, ĎI want you to go there, get bigger.í Heís going to come down after he gets done with all the black-tie events over and done with.

GB: Thatís interesting because in comics, sure, Wolverine is quite short and almost hunched over at times, a sort of feral posture, and heís bulky up high Ė heís like the nasty bulldog of superheroes.

HJ: Yeah, heís thick and itís chunky and itís powerful. I always think of

Mike Tyson when he first came on the scene. Sometimes, he was a full foot shorter than his opponents and bent over [with this] massive build. Thereís real power. You said bulldog, and thatís it exactly. Exactly. Thatís what Iím going for, and if I have a massive heart attack first, well, you tell everyone what I was going for.

GB: Well, if you die thatís not really an issue, they can just use CG these days.

HJ: Thatís right, just take the four movies and the Oscars hosting and mix them together and they should have enough.

Ė Geoff Boucher