View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #25
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Default Re: The Official "Get Marvel's Rights Back!" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsDC View Post
I would like to see Marvel get the Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Ghost Rider etc rights back.

However, I like the X-Men franchise and think the upcoming Spiderman reboot looks good...
Can't Marvel just pay a certain amount to tie in those characters to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and have them appear in some of those films? So if any characters tied to those licenses are needed, they could appear?
I'd expect that the contracts, as written, give exclusive rights to the studio currently using the character. Marvel could always, for example, offer $10 million to Sony for the rights to have Spidey make an appearance in an Avenger's film, but I highly doubt that would happen.

From Sony's point of view, they don't want to 'water down the character' and Spider-man appearing in other films would reduce the value of their stand-alone films. Marvel, on the other hand, probably doesn't want to promote a character that they only have limited rights to. Instead of using Spider-man, they could bring in a character like Nova and then spin him off into his own film if they so choose.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it's likely to happen.

I think Fox may hang onto X-Men and Sony certainly seems interested in Spider-man, but I have a feeling the other characters will trickle back to Marvel until those are the only ones Marvel doesn't control.