View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #55
raybia
Signing off

Default Re: Kevin Costner up for a role?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Because the character is better off with his parents dead. Running home to mommy and daddy for pie and advice while Batman deals with his own issues like a man is a good bit of why people look at Superman as a loser. A perfect white picket fence family is boring. It's not a coincidence that the Fonz and not Ritchie Cunningham was the most popular character on Happy Days.

It just doesn't work.
I have to disagree. Merely having both of his parents alive doesn't automatically lead to what you are stating. There is something to be said about writing. Lazy writing yes, but with a little thought, I'm confident it won't come across that way. Plus Superman is not Batman and I don't like the idea of a brooding Superman. Plus how think how much of an emotional payoff it would be if Pa Kent actually met his demise in the second or third movie.

I think having his parents alive could be an opportunity to introduce to the audience the real Clark Kent which would allow him to express himself about everything he is experiencing.

Even Nolan's Batman series has Alfred as a confidant and allow the audience to see what he is thinking and feeling.

Thanks Hype for the memories!
raybia is offline   Reply With Quote