View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #45
Timstuff
Banned User

Default Re: The Official "Get Marvel's Rights Back!" Thread

It's not like the X-men being in the marvel mainstream continuity hasn't caused it's fair share of problems regarding continuity and writing consistency, and it's something Marvel has struggled with for years. Joe Quesada decided that the easiest way to deal with it was to reduce the mutant population to only a few hundred. As much as I hate Quesada, and as much as I recognize that that was probably overkill, it was pretty obvious that the X-men universe was getting too big to exist inside of the mainstream Marvel universe.

Eventually you get to the point where it's like "Enough is enough, I can't write a good Iron Man story with all these mutant characters around because they cause too many plot holes." I very much like the X-Men movies being in their own continuity, because it leaves them free to explore the X-men mythology without tripping over the other superheroes' toes, and vise-a-verse.

Part of the problem is that the story path in X-Men isn't necessarily going to be compatible with what is happening with the other characters. X-men is about human evolution, and how as more and more mutants appear eventually there will not be any "normal" people left. That is a very big concept, and I think it's one that is best explored in its own series. The superheroes in the MMU are "super" because they are limited in number. If you suddenly drop a population of millions of mutants in there, then you're going to end up with the same dilemma that ultimately caused Quesada to decide to drop a nuke on the X-men 616 continuity.

At least with the movies, the X-men already have their own world to explore and grow into, and the Marvel Superheros are free to roam the MMU without getting wrapped up in the X-men storyline. I know that the comic fans want to see the X-men in the same world as the rest of Marvel's heroes, but the fact of the matter is that this concept barely even worked in the comic books, and if they tried to pull it off in the movies it could be a potential disaster for the MMU.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote