Thread: Downey's last?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #30
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

Default Re: Downey's last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
I think Robert Downey Jr IS the cinematic Tony Stark, the same way that Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones or Bruce Willis IS John McClane. And to me, getting a new actor to play Stark - be it for a sequel or a reboot - would be like getting a new actor to play Jones or McClane: yes, they COULD do it, and eventually they probably WILL do it, but that doesn't make it any less stupid. It just won't be the same.
Hmmm, I disagree there. It's more akin to Reeves as Superman, in that it's a character who already existed long before that version was seen on screen. Jones & McClane are ONLY associated with Ford & Willis. I very much doubt anyone will be trying to recast those roles for an extremely long time(with good reason). I'd also put Harry Callahan in this group. Only Eastwood could play him.

But Tony Stark/Iron Man has been around for nearly 50 years now and there are many takes on the character. I find this to be true about most superheroes. They're more like James Bond in that many actors can do the role. The role is bigger than any one actor. Now some(like Reeves, Connery, RDJ) are tough acts to follow to be sure but I'd rather see them attempt it than chicken out.