View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #86
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: 1938 Superman. The One To Adapt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamalYIgle View Post
Except Burton didn't use the 1939 interpretation of Batman. Otherwise he'd have been driving around in a Studabaker and flying around in an autogyro firing twin 45's like the Shadow.
See, now you're being pedantic. Burton did use the 1939 Batman, not in style, but in character. Keaton's Batman, much like Kane's Batman, was a violent figure of the night who dosent hesitate to kill villains. Whether or not he drove a stubaker or carried around twin 45's is not really the point. Keaton's Batman was very much the 1939 version in attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamalYIgle View Post
Superman is not gone, just the opposite. Superman has one of the largest popculture presences of any intellectual property in history. You can't ignore the characters evolution to fit your tiny wishes and dreams. Yes i use the word evolution because that is what has happened. Evolution is a process of trail and error where an organism is changed in minor ways over a long period of time. Superman as a character isn't just what Siegel and Shuster started. Superman has been in the guding hands of hundreds of people, each adding their own part to the long narrative that is his story, that is evolution.
1. I never said Superman was gone. I said the Golden Age Superman was gone.

2. You can't ignore the character's evolution? Let's take your employer for example, who until recently has "ignored" a good chunk of Batman's history, particulary the 50's and 60's, to constantly go back to the dark atmosphere of the original. Isnt that ignoring evolution?

3. Mark Waid's Superman in Birthright is very much a modern version of Siegel and Shuster's Superman, and the Birthright TPB even says that Waid went to great lengths to "Stay faithful to the core concepts envisioned over 60 years ago by creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster".At the same time, it does mention that Waid didnt want to ignore other versions either. And to quote Mark Waid again:

"I'm not for ONE SECOND arguing that Superman should go back to punching out wife beaters or throwing enemy pilots to their doom or otherwise so completely and thoroghly take the law into his own hands..."

"But I really, genuinely do believe that he's increasingly marginalized in a world where kids have to go through metal detectors to get to school and that the next superman renaissance will come when our audience once more feels it can connect with a hero who acts like defending metropolis from brainiac isnt the only way to make a difference. That's what Siegel and Shuster came to the table with, and thats what we have to put forth here."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Yeah but those people are ****s more or less. :o
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote