View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #87
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

Default Re: 1938 Superman. The One To Adapt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
See, now you're being pedantic. Burton did use the 1939 Batman, not in style, but in character. Keaton's Batman, much like Kane's Batman, was a violent figure of the night who dosent hesitate to kill villains. Whether or not he drove a stubaker or carried around twin 45's is not really the point. Keaton's Batman was very much the 1939 version in attitude.
Yes because Tim Burton , who by his own admission didn't read the comics, and only took the surface elements of the character from the few sources he chose to. He turned Bruce wayne into a borderline schizophrenic with impulse control issues.

Quote:
1. I never said Superman was gone. I said the Golden Age Superman was gone.
This is were you and I again will have to part ways. The soul of the character remains the same.

Quote:
2. You can't ignore the character's evolution? Let's take your employer for example, who until recently has "ignored" a good chunk of Batman's history, particulary the 50's and 60's, to constantly go back to the dark atmosphere of the original. Isnt that ignoring evolution?
When they did that, they were trying to streamline history for sales reasons. They did it because people complained that there was too much continuity to follow.
Quote:
3. Mark Waid's Superman in Birthright is very much a modern version of Siegel and Shuster's Superman, and the Birthright TPB even says that Waid went to great lengths to "Stay faithful to the core concepts envisioned over 60 years ago by creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster".At the same time, it does mention that Waid didnt want to ignore other versions either. And to quote Mark Waid again:

"I'm not for ONE SECOND arguing that Superman should go back to punching out wife beaters or throwing enemy pilots to their doom or otherwise so completely and thoroghly take the law into his own hands..."

"But I really, genuinely do believe that he's increasingly marginalized in a world where kids have to go through metal detectors to get to school and that the next superman renaissance will come when our audience once more feels it can connect with a hero who acts like defending metropolis from brainiac isnt the only way to make a difference. That's what Siegel and Shuster came to the table with, and thats what we have to put forth here."
It's not the first time i've disagreed with Mark's opinions about comics and Superman. He and I are just as passionate about these things, I have a different view.

My opinions are are my own and do not reflect those of DC comics,Warner Bros, Marvel Entertainment, Walt Disney, IDW Publishing, Dark Horse Comics, Image Comics, Action Lab Entertainment unless otherwise stated.
JamalYIgle is offline   Reply With Quote