View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #103
El Payaso
Banned User

Default Re: 1938 Superman. The One To Adapt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
Off Topic, but that's one of the cases when I have to agree with El Payaso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
What we really need from Golden Age Superman is his opinions. Superman has been stripped of all his stands for out of fear certain readers might disagree. Its like he's not allowed to voice anything but sacharrine or inane comments that barely touch on any issues. Superman can say he's against racism, for example, because its a mainstream ethical consensus but he can't say anything specific about how it should be done even though he has experience of how social isolation feels. (unless he's in the future and the writer uses sci fi allegory) I don't have to agree with him but it would give him character to have a point of view. While he doesn't he's a blank canvas. At the same time I don't want a Superman whose stoies are led by social issues primarily.
Yes. The 'iconism' of Superman has very much made him a bidimensional character many times. As you say, many times he merely throws safe and proven pre-fabricated messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamalYIgle View Post
Yes because Tim Burton , who by his own admission didn't read the comics,
"I loved THE KILLING JOKE... It's my favorite. It's the first comic I'0ve ever loved." - Tim Burton

As printed in the Deluxe Edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamalYIgle View Post
and only took the surface elements of the character from the few sources he chose to.
Wouldn't the Studabaker and autogyro you mentioned to bash Burton actually be the "surface elements" instead of his personality?

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote