View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #104
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

Default Re: 1938 Superman. The One To Adapt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post

Yes. The 'iconism' of Superman has very much made him a bidimensional character many times. As you say, many times he merely throws safe and proven pre-fabricated messages.

"I loved THE KILLING JOKE... It's my favorite. It's the first comic I'0ve ever loved." - Tim Burton

As printed in the Deluxe Edition.

Wouldn't the Studabaker and autogyro you mentioned to bash Burton actually be the "surface elements" instead of his personality?
He didn't read the Killing joke when he filmed Batman, he didn't read any comics. He may have read it afterward but putting a blurb in the deluxe edition 20 years later is not the same thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rujArU3il8
At the 6:02 mark, Burton says "I wasn't a comic book fan but I was a fan of the image". He doesn't mention a single comic book from that time as influencing the look, or his take of the movie.
Also no, The weapons and vehicles are a touchstone of their time but part of Batman's image comes down to the gadgets, the weapons. Burton's Bruce Wayne was not the suave debonair millionaire playboy of the comics, his Batman wasn't the controlled methodical, ready for anything hero. He was a neurotic mess that walked , blanked eyed through a hail of bullets, and then instead of slipping off into the shadows and chasing the Joker's gang, he stared doe-eyed at Vicki Vale and ran off.

My opinions are are my own and do not reflect those of DC comics,Warner Bros, Marvel Entertainment, Walt Disney, IDW Publishing, Dark Horse Comics, Image Comics, Action Lab Entertainment unless otherwise stated.
JamalYIgle is offline   Reply With Quote