View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #119
Alex_Spider
Banned User

Default Re: 1938 Superman. The One To Adapt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleDW2 View Post
Superman has to obey the law because if he doesn't what is the point of the law? Say he breaks the law and blows up the LexCorp. building. He clears it of people but completely demolishes it. Then he does it to every other LexCorp. building in the world. All of this is done despite the fact that Superman can't prove Lex did anything wrong to prompt him into doing what he did. Congratulations, you do not have Superman anymore. You have Ultraman, the Earth Three version of Superman that just did whatever he wanted because nobody could stop him. There was no law other than his law. But, you would say, Ultraman was a criminal and Superman is a hero. Well, true, but does that mean that he should impose his own personal will upon people simply because he can? Is his invincibility reason enough to have his morality supersede everyone else's?

And where does it stop? Lex is a legit villain, but would Superman go after other corrupt companies? And what does it mean to be corrupt? Better hope your answer falls in line with Superman's. What does Superman do about other laws he might find unjust? What if he were anti abortion? Would he send all abortion doctors to the Phantom Zone? What about illegal immigration? I hope he is feeling kinder towards all those illegals. And if he is, he doesn't think about "dealing" with anyone who thinks contrary to him. Because he can get away with it. He's Superman. He's above the law. He's not Super "Obeyer" Man.
No, not to people, only to the corrupted forces of the world and the unfairness behind some laws. I think you took it too far with the demolition and all that. I don't think everyone of us implied this. After all if he took totally the law in his own hands, there would be no stories to tell, lol. We 're talking about little things which i am not going to analyze now obviously. But i believe that the things you mentioned are an extreme example just as the Boy Scout's one. There can be a middle ground.

Last edited by Alex_Spider; 03-02-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Alex_Spider is offline   Reply With Quote