View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #59
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlegend View Post
Meh, the Gambit that I like the best WOULD be fine with X-Force. Back in the day the character was among the darkest of the X-Men - he had no qualms with doing what had to be done.

At some point that got dropped for the cliche thief with a heart of gold type of character, which radically morphed into the Gambit we saw for the latter half of the 2000s - a spineless wretch of a character.

The non-Carey stories lately have been a lot better - but I at time I still miss the darker Gambit we saw in the early-mid 90s.

And while I guess they could say he's starting to buy into the Dream... In the past, Gambit was NEVER into the Dream. He was largely with the X-Men because he had nowhere else to go. Then it was because he was falling for Rogue. Then it was because he was seeking redemption for his role in the Morlock Massacre (albeit a poorly written and overplayed role that was dumb).

I mean I guess we can assume that at some point he bought into it, but the character has rarely shown signs of it. His solo books always seemed to establish that he didn't view himself as any different from human beings - he just happened to be able to blow stuff up.
I see where you are coming from, but Gambit may have been "darker" but he was never that dark where I could see him being on kill squad like X Force, especially after his experience as a theif for hire for Sinister. He also has had some authority issues that would make it difficult to be able to function in a paramillitary group like X Force.

And if you remember, in his earliest appearances, he was a Robin Hood type character who took de-aged Storm under his wing (Uncanny X-Men 267). So his heart of gold character was there from day one. One can argue that after Claremont, he was made darker (Gambit kicked some @ss, but never gave me the impression of being capable of being a cold hearted assasin, and Claremont has always written Gambit sympethetically.). Although for years his reason for staying with the X Men was unclear, it seemed that he earnestly was looking for some sort of redemption rather than just hanging out because of Rogue. But that's my interpretation of the character.

I'm just happy so many writers are using him these days, and they are focusing on his friendship with Storm rather than the carwreck that is Romy these days (which is a pity-when it's written well, they are a great team/couple).

EvilClareToo is offline   Reply With Quote