View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #38
El Payaso
Banned User

Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesCameronOnl View Post
I already made a connection with the character in BB and once you change the actress, no matter how close she plays the character, itll always be like a different person.
I see the problem, but in this case I was so glad we didn't have the spoiled brat we had in BB and got a more mature woman.

Quote:
Especially when she looked like a very young and naturally cute girl in one movie, and like a 40 year old unnatractive woman with eyebags in another.
Well, first of all things I refuse to appreciate a woman or a female character based on her external looks only.

Then again in TDK Rachel seemed to be Bruce's age. Because in BB we have a first scene where Bruce and Rachel were the same age and then when they're grown ups she looks like she's 17 while Bruce in his 30's.

Quote:
The thing is, Rachel's character is very b0itchy on the surface, and we wouldnt like her if we wouldnt know her better and how she really is, and BB shows her character well so we understand her.
We might understand her but in no case like her because of those reasons. More than "knowing her better" is required, when the actress makes the character look like a brat playing adult.

Quote:
But when a new, and such a different (and much older) actress comes in, it feels like a new character who has an attitude, with no history behind it, or any attachment for that matter
Am I wrong or if it is the same character you can have her story in the first movie all the same? How is suddenly a different actress makes it a different character with a different past?

And again, do you consider a year "much older"? Katie's birthday: December 18th, 1978. Maggie's: November 16th, 1977.

Quote:
The "much older" comment was more of a sarcasm since it looks like theres a 20 year old gap between them.
Not only that, there's a giant talent gap between them. Somehow you sound concerned about the gap between their looks only.

Quote:
Katie looks like a high school girl while Maggie looks like an old office woman with big eye bags.
My point exactly. Maggie looks like a mature and serious DA. Katie just a high school girl playing adult. When you have to have scenes like Rachel lecturing Bruce about justice or slapping him for being an idiot and you have a school girl doing it, it just doesn't work.

And again, women can be more than eye candy for your visual pleasure.

Quote:
I seem to be in minority when it comes to this issue, but I really found Rachel to be very likable and fully connected with the character in BB. She was this little dog that barks the loudest, a little cute girl who had guts and morals of a huge fighter. Maggie was for me an old office woman who I just never felt any sympathy or connection with, and who wasnt special or distnctive in any way
The sympathy you have for this or that is respectable preference. But you make it sound once and again like it's all about how young and beautiful one is vs how old and ugly is the other one. Can't connect myself to that line of thinking.

Rachel the character was very pointless, except when she died, to start with. But if I have one talentless actress who looks like a high school girl (your won words) and another one who looks and acts maturely to play a mature brave DA then I have to pick the second option. But again, if there was no rachel at all I'd be even happier.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote